Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Program suggestions!  (Read 2255 times)

Offline earthizm

Program suggestions!
on: February 13, 2017, 03:22:43 AM
Hi!

I'm a graduating senior in college, and my collegiate piano society hosts a 'formal' (which really is just a small, not-too-serious concert featuring our members) every year in May. Each player has about 15 minutes, which I think suits for two medium-length pieces. I'm currently practicing Chopin's Heroic Polonaise (Op.53) for the second, but haven't decided what to play before it. So I'm here to ask for suggestions!

My vision of the Heroic Polonaise is someone who's returning home after years of adventures abroad, which gave him joy, sadness, troubles, successes, and memories that he will cherish forever (btw my favorite rendition is by Seong-Jin Cho in the latest Chopin Competition)--which is also how I feel as I'm about to put an end to my life in college.

So, for the preceding piece I want something that could be about the adventures/troubles that the hero had to go through. What immediately came up in my mind was the first movement of Chopin's 2nd Sonata (Op.35) or Nocturne Op.48, No.1, but I'm worried if i) this is going to be too hard, and ii) tire my hand even before playing the Heroic Polonaise.

To describe my current playing level, the Heroic Polonaise is a notch up from what I've played before. Recently played pieces are:
Beethoven Piano Sonata No.8 (Pathetique)
Chopin Nocturne Op.72, No.1
Chopin Ballade No.1 (somewhat incompletely, currently working to finish it)
Chopin Heroic Polonaise Op.35 (working)

I'm playing a lot of Chopin but non-Chopin pieces are certainly welcome.

Thanks for reading!

Offline zxiao9

Re: Program suggestions!
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 07:26:26 AM
Have you considered Chopin's Polonaise Op.40 No.2? Its not very difficult, and its a very dark and "troubled" piece.

I think Mozart's K310 first movement 1 can also be a good choice.

Offline zxiao9

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 07:27:34 AM

This is my favorite rendition of aforementioned Mozart

Offline piulento

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 08:24:10 AM
Have you considered Chopin's Polonaise Op.40 No.2? Its not very difficult, and its a very dark and "troubled" piece.

I think Mozart's K310 first movement 1 can also be a good choice.

I like the Mozart suggestion. I'll vouch for it.
The C minor polonaise is really beautiful, but from my experience it doesn't really maintain the crowd's attention for too long (or maybe it was just me :S ).

Offline earthizm

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:02 AM
Thanks for the comments. I actually played the first movement of K310 about 10 years ago at a local piano competition and it might be fun to bring it back.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Try Lamonthe ie Chopin of Haiti -Ballade Re: Program suggestions!
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:07:01 PM
Hmm am late to this party. Were it me, and given your academic setting [you will need a good university librarian to assist you with borrowing the score as i did since it is rare out of print so can only be borrowed via ILL from a few schools score reserves which us how i got a hold of the sheet music after months of faed efforts to find a vintage copy to own....library got a copy for me to borrow and  for review in about a week]

Consider some LUDOVIC LAMONTHE, he was called the  "Chopin of Haiti"   his music is well constructed, almost universally attractive and feels really good under the hands including this short , but super  nice and fun short works and a ballade ,when I have read and played w some pieces when looking for stuff to learn next myself

If a shorter piece is needed the album leaf in f sharp minor is soo freagin nice

Or this one or  combine w this and play 2 of them

However you also seem to want something e more drama or programatic type so perhaps try the BALLADE IN A MINOR from Scenes de Carnivale [no 2] if it would fit

A few other pieces examples

Offline paxxx17

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 04:25:05 PM
sorry if I'm late, but think about polonaise Op. 44
it's really a great counterpart to Op. 53 and is a great piece to amuse the audience
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert