Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Metronome Mark in Chopin Op. 10 No. 1  (Read 1767 times)

Offline wulfgang

Metronome Mark in Chopin Op. 10 No. 1
on: February 13, 2017, 07:41:15 PM
Hey guys,

quick question, when I practice at tempo quarter note = 176 bpm I always feel quite rushed like the metronome is pushing me. Of course, I can turn it off and it's fine, but for training the rhythmic integrity I like to mix in the metronomic practice into the routine,

With that in mind, I've found that if I set the metronome to 88 = half note, then I feel much less rushed especially at the turn arounds at the top and bottom,

do you guys think this detracts from the point of the etude to be absolutely rhythmically precise, or is this permissible? It makes practicing it so much easier!

best
wulfgang

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Metronome Mark in Chopin Op. 10 No. 1
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 02:32:39 AM
I miss j_menz.  I know what he would have said...

If your purpose in learning that etude is to be absolutely rhythmically precise, then in my opinion you will be better served to set the metronome slower, but to the quarter notes, and work on gradually bringing up your speed.  I am a little concerned that by setting it to the half notes, you are -- probably quite unconsciously -- putting a bit of rubato into the turn arounds.  Which might not be out of place in a performance of the piece, but if your objective is absolute precision...
Ian

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert