Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: New Piano, Need your Help!  (Read 2781 times)

Offline botticelli

• PS Silver Member
New Piano, Need your Help!
on: March 06, 2017, 02:29:51 AM
Hello

Im going to purchase a new piano, and im not sure which. My budget is around 5000 dollars, but i can probaly stretch it out to 6000. What i want most(like everyone else i suppose) is a grand. But i dont think i can get a decent grand for that price? Which upright would be the best for me? All i play is classic, and size isnt a problem so i want one thtas as big as possible. The option to install silent system would be a +, but not necessary. Im not buying used from privat people. Appreciate all the help i get! :)

Offline botticelli

• PS Silver Member
Re: New Piano, Need your Help!
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 02:30:59 AM
PS i live in europe, Norway if its relevant.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:41:03 AM
PS i live in europe, Norway if its relevant.

It's relevant, since as far as I know things can be very expensive in Norway (even more expensive than Finland). You definitely cannot get a new grand for that, you may just about get a  good upright with that. Are you sure you want new? With your limited budget it may not be the best option. I bought my first piano as new (a yamaha U1 with a silent system), list price 11500 euros, I payed 9000 euros (or 9500, cannot remember). Was never satisfied with it. Last year I got a used 1950 Bluthner baby grand for 5000 euros and I absolutely love it as it is even if it will need some work to be perfect. So at least play many pianos before making the decision.

Even if you want something fairly new, a piano that has been played a little is usually a better investment. Pianos are good for decades and after the instrument has been carried out of a shop the price is easily reduced several thousand euros. And if you buy used from a dealer, you often get some sort of guarantee as well. I also got  a 3 year period to switch to another piano from the same dealer with full compensation of the price.

But if you do decide to buy new, do not pay the list price. There is usually a lot to negotiate...

Offline botticelli

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:44:05 AM
Hey, no i meant i dont want to buy used from private people, but i can buy used from a store :) And yes things are very expensive here. Wow that sounds like a good piano to a great price.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:50:05 PM
Hey, no i meant i dont want to buy used from private people, but i can buy used from a store :) And yes things are very expensive here. Wow that sounds like a good piano to a great price.
It did take me 5 years to get a grand though :)

I hope you find something nice! Do you live near a bigger city with some piano shops?

Btw. Buying from a private person is quite ok if you can find a reliable piano technician to check the instrument. Otherwise it can be a bit risky and of course you'll have to arrange transport. The stores I have used took care of that. So I do see why you prefer a dealer. But then of course you will then have to pay for their profit as well.

The original asking price for my used grand was 8500euros, but the market is slow and it had been sitting in the shop for some time. But while I was searching I saw many older grands for about 8000euros. That is about the lowest you can get a decent shape older grand here. I think even in Norway if you could invest closer to 10000 and time, you could find a nice grand. If not you'll need some luck. A good little used upright should be easy to find with 6000euros if the prices are not too far from ours.

Offline botticelli

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:50:51 PM
Dont live in a big city, so i have to travel far to try them out. Ive seen a Rönisch grand from 1919 thats been restored by an piano technician for 600 euros. anounced with great sound and 10 year waranty. 170cm long, would that be something?  Or will i get a better sound with upright that low price? thanks very much again!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:06:12 AM
Dont live in a big city, so i have to travel far to try them out. Ive seen a Rönisch grand from 1919 thats been restored by an piano technician for 600 euros. anounced with great sound and 10 year waranty. 170cm long, would that be something?  Or will i get a better sound with upright that low price? thanks very much again!
600? Or do you mean 6000?
I would personally never settle for an upright anymore now that I have a grand. 170cm is about the biggest I could fit in my place and I think it's perfectly adequate for home use. But that gend is very old and you would need a real expert to assess the quality of the restoration work. For that low price I'm a bit sceptic...but if the travel isn't too much you could always try it out.

I tried quite a few pianos recommended by my very expert tech but simply did not like them. Either the touch or sound. The one I finally chose was not chosen by him and he is yet to see it. I was willing to risk it because of the low price. But I absolutely love playing it and that to me I the most important thing.

Offline botticelli

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 05:23:29 PM
6000 of course :) i havent really tried many different pianos and grands, so i dont know what ill be looking for

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 05:41:12 PM
6000 of course :) i havent really tried many different pianos and grands, so i dont know what ill be looking for
It's a rather big investment so I would urge you to try to play as many as you can. But when you get you hands on something wonderful you will know it. I experienced this already a few years ago, although I ended up not buying that one.

BTW. You could also buy from Sweden right? Might be a little cheaper and more to choose from. Iirc the grand I bought came to the dealer from a private owner in Stockholm.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 05:48:54 PM
If you like to read about my struggles with buying a grand, there's a whole thread about that :)
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=61663.0

In hindsight over 6 months later I can only say I am really pleased with what I got and the memories of the Bosie have almost faded...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert