Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Cadenza-help in Tchaikovsky "Dumka" - Visitor or anyone who has played it?  (Read 2667 times)

Offline natanica

Some time ago I was given a great suggestion by Visitor for a piece to build up my self confidence after a long break. I have now almost completed this "Dumka" by Tchaikovsky, and I love it!

Annoyingly though, I don't have much experience with cadenzas, and even though this is an "easy" one, the fingering in the score doesn't work for me. My fingers are luckily long, but I'm obviously rather clumsy, and I'd appreciate suggestions on better ways to manage it. I have seen recordings where the pianist uses both hands, but when I try this and also different fingerings, I just can't seem to get it fluent (is that the word I'm looking for?). Of course I could get it right with a lot more practice, but it seems counterproductive to practice something that feels so wrong :)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Am glad to learn you toom my advice into consideration.
It is a great work and yes loads of fun
Hmmm i actually dont recal struggling at all with that cadenza/cadenzita  [ie little candeza], i found those downward runs with the right hand in the middle of the fast section about half way into the piece to be the most problematic

Since it has been so long i will have to pull my score and see what i wrote in if anything ie if i wrote something in it means i used some not immediately obvious fingering device

If helpful i can try and scan it and post for you

In the meantime i do remember some parts of the piece feel awkward as heck at times and lots and lots of delirate slow drilling to engrain it in

I may rework this soon given i never performed or recorded the thing but i will check

Oh btw for a really good recording especially good pacing for that cadenza i would get and listen to Krasimira Jordan's slavic works CD where she recorded this and to this day it remains imho of the finest renditions of it
She is a special kind of wonderful, her comments and insights i would get from her on my jur examination grade and critique sheets were suoer insightful, anytime you can reference her playing it would be worth your time to seek them out, she does some especially wonderful things with works of Vladigerov as well
Here is spotify of her  playing the Dumka
Or lookfor the cd ie amazon ebay or library
https://open.spotify.com/track/5HKG1zXdXjpQ13IzirvJ2t
Will look for my score and post again soon

What edition are you working from? I had the misfortune of  getting that black and white cover kalmus which is garbage as far binding, i had to practice tape every single page togethet with  clear mover's tape. Stay away from that one.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Found free yt of her would reccommend thia as a guide reference recording

Btw her version of Vladierov's son's groovery variations is my most absolute favorite interpretations of it, i mea she just nails it in a way i have a hard time describing , like complex flavors in exotic dish, difficult to say just by tasting what spices are working together in unusual, but i know i love it

Offline natanica

i found those downward runs with the right hand in the middle of the fast section about half way into the piece to be the most problematic

Yeah, almost forgot that one...  ::)

Thanks for your quick response! Really apprecciate your effort! I think I have basically avoided pieces in the past that have long cadenzas or really fast runs, they're by far my weakest point... The fingering in the score (downloaded from this site btw, instant gratification ;-) ) is good enough maybe, I don't know, but it feels like I've spent ages on it and even though I practice sloooowlyyyy and gradually increase speed, it still sounds like i'm playing triplets throughout. It's like I'm stuck. Guess I wish for a magic wand or something!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert