Piano Forum logo
November 18, 2017, 11:32:59 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Case of Ravel

In this exclusive interview pianist Paul Roberts talks about his new book Reflections and the search for pathways into the core of musical interpretation. Read more >>

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to choose the best piano teacher?  (Read 1601 times)
mrcreosote
PS Silver Member

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2017, 07:03:52 AM »

Lots of replies, I'll make it short:

1) Great performer can easily have no clue how to teach.  Probably stems from they never had to learn how to play - they were born with it.  NOTE:  Conservatories especially in the past only accepted students that already knew how to play - they were nothing more than finishing schools.  Now genuine instruction can be found - like the training of Russian gymnastics athletes.

2) When getting started, teacher has to be like a doctor giving a physical or mechanic checking out a used car.

3) I really don't know - I've never had a good teacher.  And I know for certain, I could do massively better teaching compared to the ones I've encountered.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: