Piano Forum

Topic: Decision for a digital piano  (Read 1911 times)

Offline novos

• PS Silver Member
Decision for a digital piano
on: April 13, 2017, 06:46:19 PM
Hello there,

I'm a conservatorium graduate, been studying how to play for 11 years, in a so so level. Haven't played much in the last 7 years but i attend to come back to this, this summer.

I'm a student so i'm not sure where i'll live in the years to come, so i haven't decided which is better for me, the portable versions  or like an upright piano.

I only play classical music, maybe will try jazz somewhere in future.

I haven't tried any digital piano yet, but from the internet research i've made, i'm pretty much down to 2 models: Yamaha YDP-163, Roland RP302 or Casio AP-460.

Basically the things that are important to me the most are the sound (of course, to be resembled as a piano and not electric one), and the touch, or so to say- the action.

I have no experience with them and this is only based on online research.

Just wanted to know what are your thoughts about them, and whether if there are models that will come out soon, so the prices of the above mentioned models will go down.

Thanks!

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Decision for a digital piano
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:51:44 PM
I have some thoughts about digital pianos for at least entering into classical music. Most people wouldn't agree with me, they have their own ideas, which usually includes a price ceiling and a cabinet which combined doesn't get you into the caliber of action needed. You can get into keyboards that do have the action however, without the cost of cosmetic cabinetry. In the end people want a piano that looks like a real wood piano and because of their low budget they compromise the action to get it. It's the old story of people will listen to the good looking person with a false message and skip the ugly one telling the truth LOL !!

Now that isn't to say that you can't have a nice looking piano with great action but it will just be out of your budget is all, and lower on portability as well.

Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert