Mozkovsky's
2 (40%)
Chopin's
3 (60%)
Other?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chromatic thirds  (Read 2586 times)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Chromatic thirds
on: April 29, 2017, 02:27:18 PM
I'm bad at making decisions on fingering when there are several options and none of them seems clearly better than other... I played these with Chopin's fingering (repeating the thumb) and then I  ran into Mozkovsky's (repeating the 2nd). The latter somehow seems more fluid  and sounds better as long as I remember to keep my wrist in the right position. I even tried a third option that I came up with myself but it was uncomfortable and would probably break my wrist if I practiced it in faster tempos...

My teacher says both are fine...So I will let you guys tell me what to do  ;D

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chromatic thirds
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 03:12:57 PM
I've been working on that Chopin chromatic thirds etude for ages. I kept switching between the two fingerings. In the end I like Chopin's slightly better. My teacher likes sliding 2, though, and tells me I'll never get the etude up to tempo using the repeated thumb fingering. I'll probably never get it up to tempo with either fingering, but it's fun to work on.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 03:44:24 PM
The rondo a la mazur I learned awhile back had a section with chromatic thirds (in vivace). The edition I was using was Mikuli's, and he advocated for the repeating thumb; so I'm guessing that stems from Chopin. Anyways, while it is comfortable it was pretty much impossible for me to bring it up to my desired tempo. Switched it to repeating second finger and it became a lot easier to play it quicker. I feel like it gives far more control than Chopin's fingering.

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 04:04:57 PM
Probably goes without saying whose fingering I prefer, and I can assure you you can get the etude up to speed with that fingering. But there also is a listing floating around the internet of other composers' fingerings like Liszt and Czerny. Try them out.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:59:30 PM
I'm bad at making decisions on fingering when there are several options and none of them seems clearly better than other... I played these with Chopin's fingering (repeating the thumb) and then I  ran into Mozkovsky's (repeating the 2nd). The latter somehow seems more fluid  and sounds better as long as I remember to keep my wrist in the right position. I even tried a third option that I came up with myself but it was uncomfortable and would probably break my wrist if I practiced it in faster tempos...

My teacher says both are fine...So I will let you guys tell me what to do  ;D

Whichever one is easiest . . . Sounds like in your case, that's the second option.

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:22:07 PM
Hahaha, trying to figure this out myself. Have had to deal with these every now and again; they always take me forever to learn. I want to get better at them, so at some point I will probably learn the 3rds etude ... But yeah, I get your issue. Don't have a good answer, but I get it. :)
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert