Piano Forum

The World of Piano Competitions – issue 1 2024
The World of Piano Competitions is a magazine initiated by PIANIST Magazine (Netherlands and Germany) and its Editor-in-Chief Eric Schoones. Here we get a rich insight into the world of international piano competitions through the eyes of its producers and participants. Read more >>

Topic: Bach's aria  (Read 3527 times)

Offline pechi

• PS Silver Member
Bach's aria
on: May 07, 2017, 01:11:15 PM
My teacher tells me to learn this piece without the ornaments which I am about to do.  However, I feel that that will be the hardest way to learn it because my timing which is dreadful,  :( and fingering which is not bad, will have to re-adjust when introducing the ornaments.  I am an out and out useless pianist but think that I could learn this piece better - measure by measure WITH the ornaments.  There is no time limit to learning this piece as far as I am concerned.  What do others do?  Another thing, I have been all over the internet trying to find this Aria with the ornaments included and printed out on the sheet music - so far no luck.  I can't seem to hear how the  ornaments are played note by note, I am a reader of musical notes and do not know the various signs which, in any case are difficult to see for a beginner like me.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach's aria
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:20:24 PM
Here's a link to a version with all the ornaments written out, note by note. I assume you mean the Aria from the Goldberg Variations, right? Still, I do think it will ultimately sound better if you learn it first without the ornaments, but that's up to you.

https://ks.imslp.net/files/imglnks/usimg/0/0a/IMSLP93749-PMLP02982-BWV_988_Aria__New_Transc._2011_.pdf

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert