Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Dynamics in Beethoven's 16th sonata 1st mov.  (Read 1736 times)

Offline dedikandrej

Dynamics in Beethoven's 16th sonata 1st mov.
on: July 01, 2017, 09:32:38 AM
Hey everyone,

I have question regarding LvB's sonata in the title and that is right after begging: The first syncopation is meant to be played in piano, following from the marking at the start of the piece, clear enough.

What is bugging me though is that right before the repeat (bar 110 or so), where the introduction is from first two bars is repeated, it's marked in forte. So the question is, is the first syncopation in the repeat meant to be played forte (in similiar fashion as syncopation after the first octave runs [bar 45]) or basically the same as in the beggining?

Love to hear your idea about this.
I'm using Heinrich Schenker eddition for reference: https://hz.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/6/6e/IMSLP00016-Beethoven,_L.v._-_Piano_Sonata_16.pdf

AD

Offline andrewuk

• PS Silver Member
Re: Dynamics in Beethoven's 16th sonata 1st mov.
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:52:30 PM
My ABRSM edition (1931) has a bracketed (editorial) p on the last semiquaver of bar 3, and Tovey's commentary gives convincing arguments that it should be played this way on the repeat.  Of course, there may be more recent scholarship that contradicts this, but (a) I don't have a more recent edition; and (b) I like to quote Tovey for name-dropping reasons -  he lived next door to my grandparents :)

Offline dedikandrej

Re: Dynamics in Beethoven's 16th sonata 1st mov.
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:14:26 PM
Thx, that clarifies things ^^

I just wonder, what is the convincing argument?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert