Piano Forum logo
November 18, 2017, 06:32:56 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Master Pianist Jorge Bolet Rehearsing and Teaching Rachmaninov

See and hear Jorge Bolet and Conductor Paavo Berglund in a preliminary rehearsal prior to a full rehearsal with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra in a performance of the Rachmaninov 2nd Piano Concerto. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schenkerian Analysis  (Read 292 times)
david456103
PS Silver Member

« on: July 10, 2017, 04:48:10 AM »

[Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question in, so moderators please move it to the correct one if it's not --- thanks!]

Are there any other "schools" of musical analysis either similar or different to Schenkerian? I haven't been able to find any, so I'm hoping all you music theory experts might be able to help out, thanks! Smiley
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
georgey
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 05:13:22 AM »

Howard Hanson?  I remember doing some Hanson harmonic analysis some 30+ years ago.
georgey
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 06:18:48 AM »

Some of this looks familiar

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~gross/Howard.Hanson_bw.pdf
georgey
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 06:54:34 PM »

If I remember, Hanson harmonic analysis is more geared toward modern music (20th+ century), including both tonal and atonal.  We also used Jan LaRue’s “Guidelines for Style Analysis” which is a more relaxed, easier to comprehend method covering all aspects of music, new and old.  I am not familiar with Schenkarian analysis, although I took a quick look in Wikipedia.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Guidelines+for+Style+Analysis%2C+2d+ed.-a016087944

EDIT: " LaRue believes Schenkerian analysis can well be incorporated within his approach and an example will be furnished in Models. "
keypeg
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:51:55 PM »

I don't know if it's a system - but a while back while exchanging ideas, someone teaching theory who had graduated in recent years told me about "Neo Riemannian".
anamnesis
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:31:08 PM »

I don't know if it's a system - but a while back while exchanging ideas, someone teaching theory who had graduated in recent years told me about "Neo Riemannian".

It is. In Neo-Riemannian theory, the chord is the fundamental organizing structure in music.  Musical operations are done on triads via exchanges with related chords (ones with common tones) to create motion.

In Schenkerian and its derived approaches, lines are the organizing force and are where direct musical operations take place. Operations are based on the concept of filling, not filling, or opening up consonant spaces. Chords are epiphenomenal, and the only real notable ones are when there is a conspiracy between lines such that they are aligned in a certain way.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: