Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms Ballade in G minor Op.118, #3 - Pedal Question  (Read 6667 times)

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Brahms Ballade in G minor Op.118, #3 - Pedal Question
on: January 16, 2005, 12:19:20 AM
At the begining of the B major section there is an indication for una corda. Interestingly enough there is no indication later in the score for a return to tre corda. (Unlike the Intermezzo which precedes this piece.)

For anyone here who has performed this Ballade, do you follow the una corda marking? Do you continue it throughout the entire B major section? When do you return to tre corda?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms Ballade in G minor Op.118, #3 - Pedal Question
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 01:27:25 PM
use una corda for all the h dur section (i've seen more than one edition, and i do believe it's brahms' notation). after the h dur section, you have a 4-bar bridge (i don't know the english term, i hope you can understand what i mean) for the re-appearance of the 1st theme, you also have a big crescendo on this bridge. get to tre corde somewhere during this bridge (your ear will tell you where exactly).

best luck

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms Ballade in G minor Op.118, #3 - Pedal Question
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 06:12:00 PM
Thank you, anda. I've looked at a lot of editions and I am also pretty sure the una corde marking is Brahms's. I also think it's meant to be applied to the entire B-major section. And I know exactly what you mean by the bridge.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert