Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's posthumous Polonaises  (Read 2036 times)

Offline tinctoria88

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's posthumous Polonaises
on: August 09, 2017, 12:15:51 AM
How does everyone regard the 4 posthumous Polonaises of Chopn, opl 71, now. 1, 2, 3, and the one in G# minor.  I just re-discovered these pieces and find them charming and quite full of fingerwork.  Rather contrasting to the other "Maestoso" polonaises.

Offline nastassja

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's posthumous Polonaises
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 03:11:16 AM
I am working on the g sharp minor polonaise, so I can only talk about that one. Chopin wrote it when he was really young, so you may find 12 year olds playing this piece in competition. It is a grade 10 piece that is lovely and technically doable if you are comfortable with arpeggios and repeated notes/trills. Interesting to work on, in my opinion.

Offline tinctoria88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 11:47:07 PM
Yes, I find the style of the figuration (trills, arpeggios, etc.) as you mentioned very intriguing.  These "early Chopin" polonaises almost ... perhaps suggest some of the figuration in Chopin's mazurkas.  Something folksy, violin folksy?? about the effects in these polonaises posthumous.  I'm intending to read up on the history of this group of polonaise pieces.  They could certainly be another style of technique challenge within Chopoin's works.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:24:30 AM
I don't care for many of them, but the ones from his teenage years are wonderfully crafted filled with beautiful passages. He wasn't called a child prodigy for nothing, at the age of 13 he was composing far better music than most seasoned composers could. The g-sharp and bflatminor are my favorites:

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 04:06:52 PM
Op 71 nr 1 is one of my favorite polonaises. Must learn one day...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert