Piano Forum logo
November 17, 2017, 11:17:47 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Piano Humour: A Victor Borge Tribute

“And now, in honour of the 150th anniversary of Beethoven’s death, I would like to play Clear the Saloon, er, Clair de Lune, by Debussy. I don’t play Beethoven so well, but I play Debussy very badly, and Beethoven would have liked that.” Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gould Goldberg variations  (Read 260 times)
clouseau
PS Silver Member

« on: August 17, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »

Listening to Goulds 1981 recording of the Goldberg variations, the immediate impression was that this is too good to be real. 100% polyphonic awareness at all times, each voice executed perfectly and each voice with a distinctive tone color.

Gould was an extraordinary musician, but this level of perfection makes me skeptical. Anyone knows more about this recording? How much editing is there? Could it be that he recorded each voice separately and then mixed them together?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

"What the devil do you mean to sing to me, priest? You are out of tune." - Rameau
themeandvariation
PS Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »

No he didn't record each voice separately..… (btw, he is famous for his ability to bring out polyphony)
Here, see for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEkXet4WX_c

4'33"
clouseau
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 11:31:35 PM »

Amazing!!!

Thanks, I guess that video answers my question.

"What the devil do you mean to sing to me, priest? You are out of tune." - Rameau
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: