Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: New cello Player's Questions  (Read 1497 times)

Offline lilpep4ever

• PS Silver Member
New cello Player's Questions
on: January 16, 2005, 07:37:20 PM
I'm a new cello player...and I've been practicing. But after 10 minutes or so, my wrist starts hurting...is that normal? does all new players have that pain? And where are you suppose to put the cello? is it suppose  to be on your shoulder or near it.
( ( * / / - -* - > > EARLY PIANO PLAYER < < - *- - / / * ) )

Offline noelle

• PS Silver Member
Re: New cello Player's Questions
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 11:42:51 PM
Don't you have a teacher to show you how to hold it, or to tell you what you're doing wrong that makes your wrists hurt?
What's happening definitely depends on the wrist in question.  Probably too much tension and pressure, or a bad angle.  Have you had problems with it before cello?  I highly recommend asking a professional what habit of your technique is incorrect, as it shouldn't hurt after 10 minutes.  Regardless of whether or not you're a beginner.
I've played cello for several year - at least once a week I play up to five hours at a time, but WITH BREAKS!  I would never exceed 100 minutes without a good break.

... isn't this a piano forum?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert