Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Performance in improvisation  (Read 1135 times)

Offline panolof

Performance in improvisation
on: September 29, 2017, 08:40:20 PM
Hey all you people  :)

Let me get right to it - I'm performing in a music competition for improvisation soon, and would like all the help I could get. Down below is a link to a YouTube clip of an improv from today.
If there is any musical thematic material or even basic progressions or scales in foreign keys that would help my musical vocabulary grow - I'd be forever in debt to you ;)

Warmest regards
And have a great one,
Panolof

Offline cimirro

Re: Performance in improvisation
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:40:41 AM
Hello Panolof

Well, I love improvisations, and I see you have possibilities of developing a lot,
I listened the full recording, for now I think the ideas were too much "the same" and I do not like the full thing, 2 minutes would be maximum for keeping the same as it is.

You can try some different things:

- Melody in the left hand and harmony in the medium-high piano register
- More contrasting sections (if possible using the same melody again)
- 2 different melodies at the same time in a section
- try different arpeggios in the left hand, different ostinatos, textures, etc.
Without all these listed above the improvisation will not be more than a repeated thing in different scales/chords.

Of course, you must try all the harmonic combinations, and the experience will be very helpful when improvising, so nothing better than time.

I have no idea which kind of competition is this you are planning to enter, can you give more infromation about it?

If you think I can be of any help send me a PM.

Best
Artur Cimirro
"Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong."
Winston Churchill

Offline cuberdrift

• PS Silver Member
Re: Performance in improvisation
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:57:24 AM
My knowledge and experience on this matter is quite little, though I'll share what I know.

Maybe you could try devising a series of simple "variations", each one based on a particular style of music.

Well, for me, I think this has what has helped me the most in my improvising (I am no jazz player, just one who likes to do it for fun).

I'm not sure. I think this kind of exercise helps us gain a firmer knowledge of the keyboard. In my opinion we become more flexible as we do these "variations" - it is not improvisation actually, since you're thinking it out in advance.

Best wishes!
cuberdrift

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert