Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Did a concert for a senior living home today.  (Read 1839 times)

Offline beethovenfan01

Did a concert for a senior living home today.
on: September 30, 2017, 06:07:38 AM
Hello.

Today I and a friend played for two hours at a retirement home/memory care center today, and it was so wonderful to do, and I really enjoyed it. They all loved my classical repertoire and were sad when I had to leave. It made me feel so good!!!  :D

But I have a few questions about this. The concert today was for community service, and it was my first time setting one up myself. Doing it for free makes everything easier, but in the future, I want to see about making money on this route, especially to assist in paying for college (and a car!!!). How do I go about this? What do I need to be aware of?

Also, where are other places I can get gigs that are looking for classical pianists, besides retirement homes? I want to get more experience performing in general, as well as make a little money to help with college tuition and living expenses (I will also have a separate job, and hopefully a scholarship or two).

I appreciate any advice that anyone can give!

Thanks!
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Did a concert for a senior living home today.
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 12:08:52 PM
Churches.  Clubs (probably women's clubs).   Some of those might pay you with a gift or something too.

Christmas is coming up.

I saw someone playing on a little keyboard at a supermarket door once.  That looked kind of pathetic.  I could see it looking decent if it was presented well in a mall though, so it's not right in a store.  Or maybe if the store was something more than a supermarket.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 01:33:31 PM
If you're a straight male go for women's clubs (especially strip clubs), because duuuuuuude old women (late 20s-30s) will be all over you. Tight. And play jazz and pop arrangements. Trust me, you won't regret it...

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 01:40:45 PM
Most nursing homes will not have a fund to pay for entertainment.  If you are  looking for reimbursement, you would need to look at upscale retirement communities and assisted-living.  I would suggest also women centers and country clubs.   You might want to prepare a list of your repertoire and a simple business card

Edited to Add:   This is what is true in my area, of course yours may differ.  You will need to test the waters at different places to see if they're willing to pay you

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 03:20:32 PM
Well, you're right that I should not look for reimbursement from a nursing home. I am currently looking at a mix of memory-care centers and assisted living, so ...

Country clubs is a good idea.

Restaurants is a good idea too, if I can find one that is interested ...

Women's centers???  ::) LOL, why does this keep coming up???
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline dogperson

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 03:27:25 PM
I can only speak for my area: memory  care centers and assisted living centers generally have volunteers that perform. In fact, my teacher volunteers at one weekly and not to play classical music but the old standard favorites.  If you're looking at performing classical for payment,! you need to find an upscale assisted-living or retirement community that might have funds.   And the average age women centers? I can assure you it will not be 20 to 30 but as they collect dues,  you might find an opportunity there  

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 03:36:04 PM
they money is in teaching, so market yourself and get some students, and accompanying/collaboration.  As said above playing for  church service/hymns etc is good too. if you have good jazz pop and comp skills like also said above restaurants, hotel lobbies, etc.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 04:32:15 PM
Weddings too.

I thought of women's groups because I got paid by one once.  Would a men's group?  I've never heard of it.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert