Piano Forum logo
November 19, 2017, 05:48:08 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Announce your Piano Recitals and Events at Piano Street

In line with Piano Street’s mission to stimulate and promote live piano music performances, we welcome all members to post announcements and invitations to their upcoming piano recitals in the new recital section of the forum. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: music and self  (Read 134 times)
okoie
PS Silver Member

« on: October 13, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »

quote of a former pianist (aged 66) : "when all mind's activity ( memories,imagination,desires,etc) abates and stops, music is only a bearable noise without any significance whatsoever. Only the infinite intensity of void and silence remain. At the end also noise vanishes".
Leo Sailens
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
mjames
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 10:18:56 AM »

deep

Pianism is my religion, Bach is my God, and Chopin's my prophet.
okoie
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 05:01:33 PM »

thanks, Myames
outin
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:28:25 AM »

I do often enjoy music that feels like noise without significance...makes me wonder about the state of my self Wink

My summer projects: Scarlatti K87, K466, K109, Scriabin op74 preludes, Chopin Waltz 69-2 and Berceuse. And just exploring more music...
lostinidlewonder
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 03:42:49 AM »

I think that listening to music of any genre which you cannot connect to on any positive level is unbearable noise. We like music because it effects us on some emotional level, if it is devoid of all personal memory, imagination, desire what do you have but a noise which is interrupting? I like the sounds of waves crashing on the beach for instance, very bearable noise because it makes me think of the vast ocean and provides calming imagery in the mind.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.facebook.com/groups/348933611793249/
ted
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 05:46:43 AM »

If he is saying that a perceiving mind is an essential component of musical experience, then I agree, but like all tautologies it tells us very little of any use. A page of elegant mathematics is just peculiar marks on paper if all internal association vanishes, the deepest literature meaningless scribble. It seems to me the assertion is obvious but trivial.

"It's a caution, grandson !"  -  My grandmother's reaction to almost any issue of the day.
hardy_practice
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 06:53:14 AM »

Yer man's on acid.

B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM
outin
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »

Yer man's on acid.
I'd probably enjoy that too... Wink

My summer projects: Scarlatti K87, K466, K109, Scriabin op74 preludes, Chopin Waltz 69-2 and Berceuse. And just exploring more music...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: