Piano Forum logo
November 25, 2017, 04:05:33 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Steinway Update: Code Name “Edelweiss” Outbid by a True Piano Lover

The calculation was apparently rather simple for the new owner - he loves Steinway's pianos, so why not buy the whole company? We suggest that next step for the new owner, John Paulson, would be to learn to play his pianos. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beethovens Fifth with Fortepiano...  (Read 120 times)
perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« on: October 24, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »

Greetings everyone... I'm wondering if anyone else has heard an exciting performance of Beethovens 5th Symphony with the added use of a Fortepiano??? I heard it on the radio a few weeks ago and missed the name of the Orchestra performing it.

Has anyone else heard it? It makes it quite unique to all of the other recordings without it. Anyone know any info on it???
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

huaidongxi
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:22:09 PM »

this was a chamber sized orchestra with period instruments ?
perfect_pitch
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »

It didn't sound chamber sized, but it probably was with period instruments.

iansinclair
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »

Haven't heard that performance -- sounds interesting!  I do have a recording of all the sonatas on fortepiano, and it's fascinating and quite different.

It does bring up an interesting question, though... Beethoven at that time was already becoming quite deaf, and I've always wondered what he really would have wanted to hear, had he had the instruments (both piano and orchestral) available to him.  What was he imagining?

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: