Piano Forum logo
December 18, 2017, 03:11:22 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Piano Street Reaches 20,000 Likes on Facebook!

The Piano Street team would like to say a special thank you to all piano fans around the world who like us on Facebook, where our page has recently passed 20,000 likes! Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lydian/phrygian experiment  (Read 91 times)
Derek
PS Silver Member

« on: October 28, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »

Inspired by caustik's phrygian improvisation I decided to record an improvisation in my favorite mode, lydian. It throws in some chromaticisms and mixture with phrygian in places for variety. I actually have long loved the interplay between those two modes, it has a particularly mysterious sound that I just dig. A lot.

Glad to be back, it's nice to see old friends and see some new faces and get inspired by all your music. Thanks all.

Cheers,
-Derek

* lydian.mp3 (24884.69 KB - downloaded 13 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
caustik
PS Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 04:26:24 AM »

Smiley

Feeling nice after hearing it all the way through a couple times -- Lydian does have a very pleasant affect and the chromatics are a nice touch of flavor. Especially loved the bits which definitely reminded me of my phrygian recording with the rhythmic meandering -- similar concept but from another perspective and mode. The chords going on around 4:20 (and 6:40) were realllly nice as well. Could talk about some other sections as well, but anyway this was a fitting piece of improv to hear on a relaxing Sunday night!
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: