Piano Forum logo
March 21, 2018, 01:09:52 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

World Premiere: Piano Piece in G by Felix Mendelssohn

The first edition ever of a newly discovered piece by Mendelssohn was presented by Piano Street at the Music Education Expo in London earlier this month. The Urtext Piano Score and Autograph Manuscript are now available for download. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A lydian/phrygian experiment  (Read 600 times)
PS Silver Member

« on: October 28, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »

Inspired by caustik's phrygian improvisation I decided to record an improvisation in my favorite mode, lydian. It throws in some chromaticisms and mixture with phrygian in places for variety. I actually have long loved the interplay between those two modes, it has a particularly mysterious sound that I just dig. A lot.

Glad to be back, it's nice to see old friends and see some new faces and get inspired by all your music. Thanks all.

* lydian.mp3 (24884.69 KB - downloaded 62 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
PS Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 04:26:24 AM »

Feeling nice after hearing it all the way through a couple times -- Lydian does have a very pleasant affect and the chromatics are a nice touch of flavor. Especially loved the bits which definitely reminded me of my phrygian recording with the rhythmic meandering -- similar concept but from another perspective and mode. The chords going on around 4:20 (and 6:40) were realllly nice as well. Could talk about some other sections as well, but anyway this was a fitting piece of improv to hear on a relaxing Sunday night!
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: