Piano Forum

Topic: So Not A Sonata: Sapphire Green  (Read 1048 times)

Offline nickc

• PS Silver Member
So Not A Sonata: Sapphire Green
on: November 03, 2017, 08:07:54 PM
 Every single day of our lives is no different then a musical improvisation... we have no idea what will happen but we all do our best to make it from one day to the next. We can plan all we want but we have control over nothing, except the choices we make.

I posted this work in the improvisation sub forum. However, I would like some input from the "Classical pianists" (for lack of a better term) on this work. I feel that improvisation in the classical/musical academic world is beginning to enter a period of renaissance so to speak... however I feel it will be many years before improvisation reclaims it's rightful place in the musical academic world. Having traveled and visited the universities all across Canada (except for the west coast), I have yet to encounter one musical institution that even incorporates improvisation into the main curriculum. To those of you who don't improvise, may I ask why or why not? I began piano at 13 but gave it up at 19 as I was frustrated with the music education I was receiving.  I did not improvise then as I only learned the repertoire necessary to complete my undergraduate degree.  It wasn't until 2 years ago at the age of 23 (2015) that I discovered I could create my own music. Since then it has been an incredible journey but also a very personal one and filled with many obstacles. I feel that if improvisation was encouraged in the classical setting, we would begin to witness a revival in "classical music" altogether!

Classical music is stuck in a rut. It has been placed in a museum and as a result, the rest of world is leaving us there...  We need to unify all aspects of our art if we want it to survive. Beethoven, Bach, Debussy, Scriabin, Brahms, Mozart, Haydn etc... were all known as great improvisers as well as composers. If it's good enough for the giants of music, then surely it's good enough for us?

This improvisation is in 4 movements and begins with "Siam"... a focal point of my life and the beginning of my musical journey. Thailand is where it all began and I feel that the opening to this "sonata", has allowed me to express what words can not about this mystical country and my experiences there. Thanks for listening!

Mov't 1) 0:00 Siam
Mov't 2) 11:40 The Aftermath
Mov't 3) 26:50 Stumblin n Fumblin: Mistakes? Or fate...
Mov't 4) 35:03 Recapitulation? Nope... moving on forwards

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Re: So Not A Sonata: Sapphire Green
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:11:37 PM
Perhaps you could strike out on your own like https://www.ludovicoeinaudi.com/

My parents recently attended a concert of his. His approach to music is highly eclectic and I'd say, pretty sophisticated enough it could be on par with "classical" in depth and expression. Much like your music!

Perhaps the reality is, classical music in the academic world needs to fade away and musicians who are creating new things need to basically rise from the ashes, and from there re-enter academia (maybe...not that there's anything necessarily musical to begin with about universities, it just happens to be the main thing you think of when you think of Classical).

I was considering going straight into music when I was your age, but I wound up taking the pragmatic approach and going into computers. Plus I had other hobbies which I also love very much. Oh well, can't do everything I suppose!

Very beautiful music sir, and I wish you the very best of luck whatever you do with it. I'll even go to a concert if you start touring.

*edit* Put it another way, if culturally instrumental music like this blossoms and grows into a dramatic, huge cultural force, it'll totally overwhelm, sap, destroy and deflate the stagnant classical structures still standing. And then it'll re-incorporate performance of old pieces and become one again. That's where I see musicians like you and maybe Einaudi starting this renaissance.

*edit* I actually hope it's part of an overall trend that utterly destroys modern academia because it has become a horrible cesspool all around.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert