Piano Forum logo
November 20, 2017, 08:59:08 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

"Hats off...!" - New Translation of Schumann's First Review

Celebrate the Schumann anniversary by reading our new translation of his very original and entertaining review of Chopin's Opus 2. This review includes the famous quote "Hats off, gentlemen, a genius". Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best recordings of op. 110?  (Read 128 times)
pianoville
PS Silver Member

« on: November 06, 2017, 08:28:08 PM »

A while back I started working on the masterpiece that is Beethovens sonata op. 110. I have listened to a lot of performances of it, including my favorite, Emil Gilels. My question is, which performances of it do you like the most? And please if you know any less known pianists who play it good then then tell me! It is always refreshing to listen to a good performance of late beethoven that is not schnabel, arrau etc. Thanks in advance!
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz
arnerich
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:59:26 PM »

I like Alfred Brendel's interpretation for sure.
ronde_des_sylphes
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:58:04 PM »

I would recommend Solomon (Cutner).

pianoville
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »

I would recommend Solomon (Cutner).

I just listened to his interpretation and it is out of this world! The sense of struggling in the arioso dolente was always there and it all was so moving and felt so heartfelt. Thanks for the syggestion, this is easily up there with the performance by Emil Gilels!

"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz
jorley
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »

A while back I started working on the masterpiece that is Beethovens sonata op. 110. I have listened to a lot of performances of it, including my favorite, Emil Gilels. My question is, which performances of it do you like the most? And please if you know any less known pianists who play it good then then tell me! It is always refreshing to listen to a good performance of late beethoven that is not schnabel, arrau etc. Thanks in advance!

Schnabel is still the best though in Op 110. And Op 111 for that matter. I also really like Glenn Gould actually in Op 110. Pollini isnt to bad either.
pencilart3
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 01:17:25 AM »

This seems like a pretty good performance Cool

youtube.com/noahjohnsonpiano
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: