Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 08:34:26 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Hear Daniil Trifonov live from Carnegie Hall!

Combining consummate technique with rare sensitivity, Russian pianist Daniil Trifonov has made a spectacular ascent to classical stardom. Today, Medici TV offers the chance to watch a streaming live performance on their website and also up to 90 days after the event. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chopin Ballade g minor how to play turn figure above octaves  (Read 137 times)
tinctoria88
PS Gold Member

« on: November 08, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »

Are there choices on how to play the turn above octaves in middle section (modal octave scales)?  Thanks!
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
preludetr
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:33:55 AM »

I find it helps if I don't hold down the lower F#. Play the octave with 1-4, then lift your first finger to allow your hand to tilt a bit to execute the turn with 4-5-4. If your hands are too small to do even that comfortably, it might be okay to omit the bottom note of the first octave in the scale.
tinctoria88
PS Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »

Yes, preludetr, this is how i currently understand to  execute the turn above octave.   Thanks for your confirming this "modus operandi."  I was wondering if there are other variations.  Looking at Cortot's edition in this passage, he notates the 2-note turn before octave.
BTW, is there an English translated version of Cortot's edition of Chopin's Ballades?
alanhchopiano
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »

Are there choices on how to play the turn above octaves in middle section (modal octave scales)?  Thanks!
[Can you tell me the bar number?]

Repertoire by 2018.12.31:
Bach:
Prelude and Fugue No.1
Chopin:
Etude Op. 25 No. 2
Fantasie Impromptu Op. 66
Ballade Op. 23
Sonata Op. 58
Liszt:
La Campanella
Liebestraum No.3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: