Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Ballade g minor how to play turn figure above octaves  (Read 2251 times)

Offline tinctoria88

• PS Silver Member
Are there choices on how to play the turn above octaves in middle section (modal octave scales)?  Thanks!

Offline preludetr

Re: Chopin Ballade g minor how to play turn figure above octaves
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:33:55 AM
I find it helps if I don't hold down the lower F#. Play the octave with 1-4, then lift your first finger to allow your hand to tilt a bit to execute the turn with 4-5-4. If your hands are too small to do even that comfortably, it might be okay to omit the bottom note of the first octave in the scale.

Offline tinctoria88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:09:00 PM
Yes, preludetr, this is how i currently understand to  execute the turn above octave.   Thanks for your confirming this "modus operandi."  I was wondering if there are other variations.  Looking at Cortot's edition in this passage, he notates the 2-note turn before octave.
BTW, is there an English translated version of Cortot's edition of Chopin's Ballades?

Offline alanhchopiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:52:47 PM
Are there choices on how to play the turn above octaves in middle section (modal octave scales)?  Thanks!
[Can you tell me the bar number?]
Repertoire by 2018.12.31:
Bach:
Prelude and Fugue No.1
Chopin:
Etude Op. 25 No. 2
Fantasie Impromptu Op. 66
Ballade Op. 23
Sonata Op. 58
Liszt:
La Campanella
Liebestraum No.3

Offline apmapmapm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 10:56:37 PM
I played this many years ago when I was a teenager, so looking back at that passage it's pretty easy to see what can be done here.
My Schirmer edition contains a 3-5-4 fingering which I consider pianistically acceptable, in that it offers a smooth execution.
The problem with that fingering is that your hand span may not allow for it and you may find yourself struggling to reach the notes.
The 4-5-4 fingering is perfectly fine but no longer ideal to me - anyone who has 20+ years of piano studies will know that smoothness is obtained through good fingering.

I remember something similar, when I was much younger - a turn in one of the Chopin nocturnes.
The notes were C-C#-C-B-C-C(8va).
My poor fingering (and perfectly doable) - 2-3-2-1-2-5
Teacher's solution - 2-4-3-2-1-5

Fingering makes a huge difference.
To conclude : if you can easily play M9ths/10ths, then give the 3-5-4 fingering a try until it feels comfortable.

Offline pianoplayer002

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 03:16:44 PM
BTW, is there an English translated version of Cortot's edition of Chopin's Ballades?

Yes, I bought one online a few years ago!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert