Piano Forum logo
October 23, 2018, 08:06:25 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Visit Piano Street at Music Education Expo 2016 in London!

Music Education Expo is the one event in the year when thousands of people involved in music education come together to share ideas and celebrate good practice. Piano Street will present new educational material at stand J16 at the exhibition. We hope to see you there! Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Imprecise or vague repetition  (Read 669 times)
ted
PS Silver Member

« on: November 15, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »

While listening to the last few minutes of this one from last week, (I forget very quickly what I play) I realised that I find fuzzy or vague repetition much more powerful than precisely repeated cells. I think it was Ives who said something to the effect of every stone in the old orchard wall being different. I cannot remember the exact quote, but it means a variety of individuals within species, like leaves on a tree or breeds of cat. When applied to rhythm, as it is here, I find it peculiarly exciting. In this example, the section from about 1:30 to 3:30, would probably be played by a jazz pianist using precise motoric repetition in the left hand, but I have avoided precision in any of the musical elements for many years now.  

* 221_1_ending.mp3 (13456.12 KB - downloaded 52 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

"When I was young they said, 'Ah, wait until you are old, then you'll see.' Well, now I am old, and I have seen nothing." - Erik Satie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: