Piano Forum logo
December 16, 2017, 11:11:57 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

World’s biggest piano helps funding an even bigger piano

The Klavins-Piano Model 370 is a one-of-its-kind instrument. Its soundboard has twice the size of a concert grand of 2,75 m and it weighs 2 tons. In this video you will meet piano maker and experimentalist David Klavins in his workshop in Stuttgart and climb the stairs up to the world’s biggest piano. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Imprecise or vague repetition  (Read 64 times)
ted
PS Silver Member

« on: November 15, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »

While listening to the last few minutes of this one from last week, (I forget very quickly what I play) I realised that I find fuzzy or vague repetition much more powerful than precisely repeated cells. I think it was Ives who said something to the effect of every stone in the old orchard wall being different. I cannot remember the exact quote, but it means a variety of individuals within species, like leaves on a tree or breeds of cat. When applied to rhythm, as it is here, I find it peculiarly exciting. In this example, the section from about 1:30 to 3:30, would probably be played by a jazz pianist using precise motoric repetition in the left hand, but I have avoided precision in any of the musical elements for many years now.  

* 221_1_ending.mp3 (13456.12 KB - downloaded 3 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

"It's a caution, grandson !"  -  My grandmother's reaction to almost any issue of the day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: