Piano Forum logo
March 17, 2018, 04:27:52 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

ABRSM Publishes New Piano Syllabus

Global examination board ABRSM has published a new Piano syllabus for 2013 & 2014. ABRSM is the leading authority on musical assessment with more than 600,000 candidates, in over 90 countries, taking exams every year. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Imprecise or vague repetition  (Read 546 times)
PS Silver Member

« on: November 15, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »

While listening to the last few minutes of this one from last week, (I forget very quickly what I play) I realised that I find fuzzy or vague repetition much more powerful than precisely repeated cells. I think it was Ives who said something to the effect of every stone in the old orchard wall being different. I cannot remember the exact quote, but it means a variety of individuals within species, like leaves on a tree or breeds of cat. When applied to rhythm, as it is here, I find it peculiarly exciting. In this example, the section from about 1:30 to 3:30, would probably be played by a jazz pianist using precise motoric repetition in the left hand, but I have avoided precision in any of the musical elements for many years now.  

* 221_1_ending.mp3 (13456.12 KB - downloaded 51 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

"When I was young they said, 'Ah, wait until you are old, then you'll see.' Well, now I am old, and I have seen nothing." - Erik Satie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: