Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Which baby grand?  (Read 14650 times)

Offline enthused beginner

• PS Silver Member
Which baby grand?
on: January 18, 2005, 09:38:59 PM
Hi Everyone,

I don't yet know how to play a note and need lots of advice. I want to buy a baby grand to learn to play on and also as a furniture piece.  I am leaning towards new as I do not want to worry about what is wrong with it (and couldn't really tell at this stage anyway) in a secondhand model.  I want a lifetime-quality beginner's piano that is value for money; one I can keep always and not have to think of trading up later. 

What models can you recommend?

I have been looking at the:
Kawai GM-10 150cm made in Japan (retails for ~$15000AUD, could buy new for $11,000AUD)
the Yamaha GB1 149cm made in Japan (retails for $12,495AUD, don't yet know what deal I could get)
and the Alex Steinbach SIG 54D 161cm which is really the Samick, made in Indonesia and Korea; retails for $12,995AUD; don't yet know the deal on this either. 

Has anyone tried all of these? 

Any comments in the difference between Yamaha GA (150cm; $12000AUD), Yamaha GB (150cm; $12000AUD)and Yamaha GC (161cms; $15000AUD) models in terms of performance versus value for money?

Any advice you have would be great.  Thank you.

Offline dlu

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which baby grand?
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 10:56:15 PM
I, personally, would rather get an expansive upright than a baby grand. Bosedorfer's are good for upright, Steinway uprights also, does fazioli make an upright...i doubt it....

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 12:47:58 AM
No experience with the Alex Steinbach (this is the first time I've heard of it). But either the Kawai GM10 or the Yamaha GB1 should be fine. Either one will look good as a furniture piece, and will function sufficiently well as musical instruments for casual playing.

Good luck. :)

Offline pianodude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 12:16:54 AM
Last Sunday, I tried the Yamaha that you mentioned. I definitely do not like that baby grand. It does not feel like a grand. Steinway's upright is much better. Yamaha C2 or C3 is good though.

Offline Michele Felice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 12:34:42 AM
If you don't plan to do much playing, your suggested choices will probably do. On the other hand, if you do start playing, and enjoy it, and begin to become sensitive to and appreciative of piano tone qualities, you are likely to become dissatisfied with a small grand piano. You might avoid this quandry, of having a new piano whose sound you outgrow, by considering a larger piano at the outset, one six feet long or so which will not take up much more room, which might cost 30% more, but which you will be able to live with indefinitely.
Piano technician no longer active in the trade.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 04:55:38 AM
If you go for Yamaha, try for a C series rather than the G series because those pianos you mentioned dont even have a full sostenuto pedal, and are made with cheaper woods, with less care, usually in third world countries. 

A piano is probably for life.  Dont get something you plan to sell anytime soon.  Have a look at Yamaha's 5'3'' C1 instead of GC1 at least...

I, myself have a C2 and I LOOOOOOVVEE it!!!

donjuan
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert