Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Has anyone seen full metal alchemist?  (Read 1483 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Has anyone seen full metal alchemist?
on: January 23, 2018, 03:38:58 AM
It's a good show

BUT...

I honestly don't think scar is a bad guy and the way they portray him is bogus.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: Has anyone seen full metal alchemist?
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 06:01:52 AM
which one? brotherhood (a remake that's faithful to the original comic book version one) or the one that came out in 2003?

In brotherhood you're actually supposed to sympathize with him. I mean why not? If some country committed genocide against my people I'd turn into a messed up terrorist as well.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:28:17 PM
which one? brotherhood (a remake that's faithful to the original comic book version one) or the one that came out in 2003?

In brotherhood you're actually supposed to sympathize with him. I mean why not? If some country committed genocide against my people I'd turn into a messed up terrorist as well.

Dude they totally make him the bad guy and people like mustang and Hughes the good guys!
The two main characters are completely blinded by their privilege to see that the people they're working for is responsible for scar being a terrorist in the first place.  But he's not even the terrorist the real terrorists are the military.

Like dude these people are mass murderers and everyone's just okay with it

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 12:42:57 AM
Well he is a "bad guy", remember the guy is a serial killer that targets State officials; crime with political intent makes him a terrorist. You're supposed to sympathize with because his past circumstances put his nutjob ideology into perspective but at the same time it's not supposed to justify his actions.

The entire show is a criticism on militarism and imperialism, it still criticizes State Alchemists and the military but the whole point of the military going unpunished in the end is that it mirrors real life circumstances; state militaries of powerful nations rarely go unpunished when they commit atrocities. The whole reason why the author's critique works so well is because she draws inspiration from real life events. Don't forget it's also a commentary on political corruption.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 05:25:55 AM
Well he is a "bad guy", remember the guy is a serial killer that targets State officials; crime with political intent makes him a terrorist.

Well what do you expect?  The military obliterated his entire family before his very eyes of course he's gonna turn into a terrorist.  Based on his circumstances I can't view him as a bad guy. 

Justice comes from vengeance.  What Scar is doing is the same thing as Hughes wanting to kill Envy for killing his brother  (I'm assuming he kills him eventually but I haven't made it that far yet).

And what the black dude told Edward that they really screwed over his people and Edward responds with 'well one of your people killed my friends parents'...  BI*TXH WHAT?????  That's not even CLOSE to the same thing!  That's not equivalent at all PERIOD.

No but yeah your second paragraph is why the show is so good

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 05:34:12 AM
Justice comes from vengeance. 
Justice in that sense is over rated and irrational.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 06:44:55 AM
Justice in that sense is over rated and irrational.

I think that's an unfair thing to say cause we come from a biased point of view.  I mean I've (and I hope you too) never had anyone murder my parents or anyone close to me.

Everyone has a limit to what they can endure while maintaining their sanity but once someone experiences something tragic like a watching someone human sacrifice/genocide your people/family you kinda go crazy and lose all your rational thinking skills.

But at the same time that's how the US justice system operates and it ruins more lives than not

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 09:05:04 AM
I think that's an unfair thing to say cause we come from a biased point of view.  I mean I've (and I hope you too) never had anyone murder my parents or anyone close to me.

Everyone has a limit to what they can endure while maintaining their sanity but once someone experiences something tragic like a watching someone human sacrifice/genocide your people/family you kinda go crazy and lose all your rational thinking skills.

But at the same time that's how the US justice system operates and it ruins more lives than not

It is only logical that unfairness (whether real or just perceived) creates violent resistance, so I think terrorism cannot be considered irrational if there are goals besides "getting back at them". Goals as destroying a system that sucks. But it's not a matter of justice.

It's also understandable for individuals in pain to feel the need for vengeance imagining it is required for justice. But it's still irrational to think of justice that way. And it certainly should not be allowed to have a role in a rationally run justice system. But that's another discussion...

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 01:26:31 PM
Fma and fmab are dope, one of the must watch for sure. Better to watch fmab if you can , follows magna better since fma was done earlier and it got ahead of magna so the stories diverge later. Again it's dope.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert