Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Good "Standard" repetoire?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline yumaisch

• PS Silver Member
Good "Standard" repetoire?
on: February 22, 2018, 07:13:41 PM
Hi!
i am a Pianostudent who is at intermediate Level!
I wanted to know what a good "standard" repetoire is?
like pieces that are good to know or  good to have played!
my current project are:

Bach prelude and Fugue In C-minor

Chopins Etude in F- minor op 25 nr 2

Rachmaninoffs Etude tableau no 8 in g-minor

Schuberts Fantasy for 4-hands

Thanks for your help and suggestions :)

Offline beethovenfan01

Re: Good "Standard" repetoire?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:00:29 AM
Chopin Ballades, Scherzos, Etudes, Preludes, Polonaises, Nocturnes, Waltzes, Mazurkas, Sonatas, Impromptus, Concertos, Barcarolle ...
Beethoven Sonatas Op. 13, 27 No. 2, 31 No.2, 53, 57, 81a, 106, 109, 110, Concertos 3-5.
Mozart Sonata K.310, K.331, K.457, Concertos No. 20, 21, 23, 24, 26.
Ravel La Valse, Gaspard de la Nuit, Mirrors, Concerto in G.
Debussy Images Bk 1 and 2, Estampes, Preludes.
Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos, Paganini Rhapsody, Preludes, Morceau de Fantasie, Etudes-Tableau.
Schumann Piano Concerto.
Grieg Concerto.
Bach-Busoni Toccata and Fugue in D minor.
Schubert Impromptus Op. 90 and 142.
Liszt Sonatas, Etudes, Hungarian Rhapsodies 2, 6, 12, 15, Mephisto Waltz No. 1, Spanish Rhapsody, Concertos, and Totentanz.
Prokofiev Sonatas 7 and 8, Concertos 2 and 3.
Stravinsky Petrushka
Some Haydn sonatas and concertos.
Brahms Rhapsodies Op. 79, Op. 117, Op. 118, Op. 119, Concertos.
Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, French and English Suites, Toccata in C minor, Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue.
A lot of obscure 20th- century stuff by composers like Glass, Hamelin, and Ives.

Does this get you started?
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:34:41 PM
Chopin Etudes, Sonatas, Concertos
Beethoven 106, Concertos 3-5
Ravel Gaspard de la Nuit, Mirrors (sic ???)
Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos, Etudes-Tableau (sic ???)
Liszt Sonatas (sic ???), Etudes, Hungarian Rhapsody 15, Concertos
Prokofiev Sonatas 7 and 8, Concertos 2 and 3
Stravinsky Petrushka
Brahms Concertos

Welcome to Pianostreet.  Don't forget Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum.  OP, as I'm sure you know - assuming that you actually play such pieces - that all of these pieces are at the very height of difficulty and constitute what are maybe the worst possible suggestions imaginable within 'standard repertoire.'  Being a pianist who is playing Chopin/Rachmaninov Etudes, you must yourself know this, and surely your teacher is assigning you works as are fit for you.  Listen to your teacher.  But you can try the Rach 33-9, there are just two or three truly 'transcendentally difficult' measures in the whole etude (you can either simplify them or practice your brains out), assuming you can play your scales and are willing to learn the figures in the LH (doesn't take a ton of time).  Have you tried it?

A lot of obscure 20th- century stuff by composers like Glass, Hamelin, and Ives.

Ah yes, the 'obscure' Philip Glass, well-respected composer of piano music.  I suppose it has been a while since I've seen an AMEX commercial with his music in it.  And Hamelin!  Who can forget his lecture series at the Darmstadt on composition: "More Octaves."  Boulez and Stockhausen were rapt, another very serious 'composer' ::)  Presumably the Ives work that Beethovenfan01 has in mind is the nigh-unplayable Concord Sonata xD

IMSLP has the Mathews series of progressive concert pieces free for download, btw.  Maybe you can find something in there.

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 09:23:06 PM
Welcome to Pianostreet.  Don't forget Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum.  OP, as I'm sure you know - assuming that you actually play such pieces - that all of these pieces are at the very height of difficulty and constitute what are maybe the worst possible suggestions imaginable within 'standard repertoire.'  Being a pianist who is playing Chopin/Rachmaninov Etudes, you must yourself know this, and surely your teacher is assigning you works as are fit for you.  Listen to your teacher.  But you can try the Rach 33-9, there are just two or three truly 'transcendentally difficult' measures in the whole etude (you can either simplify them or practice your brains out), assuming you can play your scales and are willing to learn the figures in the LH (doesn't take a ton of time).  Have you tried it?

Ah yes, the 'obscure' Philip Glass, well-respected composer of piano music.  I suppose it has been a while since I've seen an AMEX commercial with his music in it.  And Hamelin!  Who can forget his lecture series at the Darmstadt on composition: "More Octaves."  Boulez and Stockhausen were rapt, another very serious 'composer' ::)  Presumably the Ives work that Beethovenfan01 has in mind is the nigh-unplayable Concord Sonata xD

IMSLP has the Mathews series of progressive concert pieces free for download, btw.  Maybe you can find something in there.

Yes of course that was all sarcasm, I hope that's clear ...

In all seriousness, many of Chopin's Nocturnes and many of Beethoven's sonatas are very good to have in your repertoire, as are Schubert's Impromptus, the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (or 6), the Debussy Arabesques, and the Brahms Rhapsodies Op. 79.

fftransform, a little more appropriate for the OP's level, I think? That other list was obnoxious on purpose.
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:47:26 PM
Yes of course that was all sarcasm, I hope that's clear ...

In all seriousness, many of Chopin's Nocturnes and many of Beethoven's sonatas are very good to have in your repertoire, as are Schubert's Impromptus, the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 (or 6), the Debussy Arabesques, and the Brahms Rhapsodies Op. 79.

fftransform, a little more appropriate for the OP's level, I think? That other list was obnoxious on purpose.

It was such a good impression of a bad pianostreet comment that I didn't realize it was fake.  I dunno about putting the HR's and Brahms Rhapsodies in the same sentence as the Debussy Arabesques, which are often assigned right after learning 4 over 3.  Plenty of Debussy Preludes that will be 'showy' (I think OP wants showy stuff?) but not super hard, e.g. Feux or Ce qu'a.

For example, for OP I would suggest Les collines d'Anacapri, General Lavine - Excentrique, Minstrels and La Puerta del Vino.  These ones are easy to make 'sound like Debussy.'

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 06:45:59 AM
It's pretty crazy for "intermediate" then again everyone's different...I've seen crazier tbh.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert