Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Would You Rather - for pianists!  (Read 5247 times)

Offline rosejaune177

• PS Silver Member
Would You Rather - for pianists!
on: February 25, 2018, 04:38:23 PM
There seems to be an old, short 'Would You Rather?' thread, but rather random in content... how about a piano/music-themed one?
The rules are simple: just answer the last question and add your own!

Would you rather...
perform Poulenc's Concerto for Two Pianos with Poulenc or Ravel's Ma mère l'Oye suite with Ravel?

I know which one I would choose  8)

Offline beethovenfan01

Re: Would You Rather - for pianists!
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:28:44 AM
There seems to be an old, short 'Would You Rather?' thread, but rather random in content... how about a piano/music-themed one?
The rules are simple: just answer the last question and add your own!

Would you rather...
perform Poulenc's Concerto for Two Pianos with Poulenc or Ravel's Ma mère l'Oye suite with Ravel?

I know which one I would choose  8)

I would say Ravel, just because it's the only of these two pieces I really know.

Now, my question:

Would you rather take an engagement to learn the Tchaikovsky piano concerto No. 1 to substitute in a Carnegie Hall recital with one week to learn it, or play the Grieg concerto a small local symphony, with about six months to lead time?  
Practicing:
Bach Chromatic Fantasie and Fugue
Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 1
Shostakovich Preludes Op. 34
Scriabin Etude Op. 2 No. 1
Liszt Fantasie and Fugue on BACH

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 10:34:27 AM
Would you rather take an engagement to learn the Tchaikovsky piano concerto No. 1 to substitute in a Carnegie Hall recital with one week to learn it, or play the Grieg concerto a small local symphony, with about six months to lead time?  

Tchaikovsky - To learn that and play it in Carnegie hall would be tremendous. Yes, it's a week - but I'd throw every waking minute at it to learn it.

Would you rather have the beautiful subtleties and nuances of Pollini's playing, or the Pianistic Technicality of Lang Lang?

Offline rosejaune177

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 05:45:30 PM
Would you rather have the beautiful subtleties and nuances of Pollini's playing, or the Pianistic Technicality of Lang Lang?
Pollini's nuances for me, please!

Would you rather be Chopin's pupil or Bach's registrant (organ assistant)?

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 06:36:58 PM
Pollini's nuances for me, please!

Would you rather be Chopin's pupil or Bach's registrant (organ assistant)?

Chopin's pupil, absolutely!

Now, here's one ...

Would you rather perform in an underground subway tunnel on a very well-maintained grand piano, or in a large church on something much crappier? I've done both!
Practicing:

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 10:56:15 PM

Now, here's one ...

Would you rather perform in an underground subway tunnel on a very well-maintained grand piano, or in a large church on something much crappier? I've done both!

Easy underground subway id make hella bank.

Would you rather instantly learn ANY Chopin sonata, or have 15 dollars
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline clouseau

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 11:14:45 PM
Dude seriously? Of course I would go for the Sonatas, if you can play those well, you can play anything!

Would you rather live the rest of your life on a wheelchair or lose a finger?
"What the devil do you mean to sing to me, priest? You are out of tune." - Rameau

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 11:55:11 PM

Now, here's one ...

Are you sure? Chopin was kind of an a$$, his way or the highway. Imagine being insulted by your idol...

Hans Rott certainly didn't have to.

Easy underground subway id make hella bank.

Would you rather instantly learn ANY Chopin sonata, or have 15 dollars

Hater

Dude seriously? Of course I would go for the Sonatas, if you can play those well, you can play anything!

Would you rather live the rest of your life on a wheelchair or lose a finger?

finger. left pinky finger. can still play scales without it, chords ranging past an octave, arpeggios. etc

not being able to walk is much worse. pretty much lose your independence, then again you don't have to work. :D

Would you learn all of Rachmaninoff's repertoire perfectly or have the chance to learn Chopin's 4th ballade? basically 3rd rate composer's music vs greatest piece of music in history

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:26:53 AM
Would you learn all of Rachmaninoff's repertoire perfectly or have the chance to learn Chopin's 4th ballade? basically 3rd rate composer's music vs greatest piece of music in history

Rachmaninoff. Then I would just learn Ballades 1-3.

Would you rather be able to learn any piece within an hour, only to forget it an hour later, or never forget anything you learn but it takes 6 months to learn each new piece?

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:32:20 AM
goddammit you were supposed to say no.4 to piss rach4 off

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 12:36:02 AM
goddammit you were supposed to no.4 to piss rach4 off

:-[ Sorry. I didn't mean to spoil your fun.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 03:42:36 AM
Rachmaninoff. Then I would just learn Ballades 1-3.

Would you rather be able to learn any piece within an hour, only to forget it an hour later, or never forget anything you learn but it takes 6 months to learn each new piece?

+1

learn any piece in an hour.

the 4th ballade ain't bad but I don't like the sonatas.  Or etudes.  They're boring.  Especially the Etudes.  I have no idea why anyone would like them.  His piano concerti also suck. I'M a better orchestra writer than him jeez

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 04:56:54 AM
HEY, i thought we were doing this for fun, not being serious. : ( dont hurt my feelings, you're like...the only person I like in this forum

ok wait no

There's outin too..and um harrison ford...

ok let me not ruin this thread

WOULD YOU RATHER PLAY RACHMANINOFF'S CONCERTI PERFECTLY OR STEP ON POO, AND PICK IT OFF WITH YOUR HANDS.

(you know what to do Outin...don't disappoint me)

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 05:57:07 AM
HEY, i thought we were doing this for fun, not being serious. : ( dont hurt my feelings, you're like...the only person I like in this forum

ok wait no

WOULD YOU RATHER PLAY RACHMANINOFF'S CONCERTI PERFECTLY OR STEP ON POO, AND PICK IT OFF WITH YOUR HANDS.

Um I've kind of already done that (at least with the poo). It's really not so bad. So then I would absolutely learn the Rachmaninoff concerti perfectly (in my opinion, the some of the best ever written, next to the Brahms concerti and Beethoven 3-5)!

Would you rather play La Campanella on two pianos (one hand on each piano) like this guy

or the Chopin-Godowsky Op. 25 No. 11?
Practicing:

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 10:48:07 AM
Would you rather call a composition a "song" or have your next five performances be "chopsticks?"
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 12:04:59 PM
Would you rather call a composition a "song" or have your next five performances be "chopsticks?"

I could live with playing chopsticks a few times.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 12:15:24 PM
Um I've kind of already done that (at least with the poo). It's really not so bad. So then I would absolutely learn the Rachmaninoff concerti perfectly (in my opinion, the some of the best ever written, next to the Brahms concerti and Beethoven 3-5)!

Would you rather play La Campanella on two pianos (one hand on each piano)

Easy - Chopin Godowsky Etude... Playing one hand on each piano is just incredibly stupid. What type of dips@#t thinks of this crap???

Would you rather have perfect pitch, or synesthesia?

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 04:59:46 PM
Easy - Chopin Godowsky Etude... Playing one hand on each piano is just incredibly stupid. What type of dips@#t thinks of this crap???

really itching to send this to mr. wright LOL

answer:

perfect pitch

would you rather have sex with trump or play a rachmaninoff piece?

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 09:19:09 PM
would you rather have sex with trump or play a rachmaninoff piece?

Ivanka or Donald?

Would you rather have a recording of Liszt playing his own music or Chopin playing his own music?

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 10:36:17 PM
my boy chopin all day

i was thinking donald, but let me make it serious now

would you rather ivanka trump fall in love with you, propose, and you end up a billionaire...or would you rather have a mozart/chopin type of prodigal talent, but never be able to use it to amass fame and wealth, and not being able to perform in front of others? basically all the talent in the world and no one will know you have it.  :D

Offline clouseau

Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 11:22:33 PM
mjames like usual takes the subject to a whole new level

It must be a torture to have such great talent and not be recognized. For that reason only (and no other) I would chose Ivanka.

With whom would you engage in a beer drinking contest, Clementi or Scarlatti?
"What the devil do you mean to sing to me, priest? You are out of tune." - Rameau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 03:01:44 AM

Would you rather play La Campanella on two pianos (one hand on each piano) like this guy

La Campanella sucks anyways

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 03:03:06 AM
mjames like usual takes the subject to a whole new level

It must be a torture to have such great talent and not be recognized. For that reason only (and no other) I would chose Ivanka.

With whom would you engage in a beer drinking contest, Clementi or Scarlatti?

I'd beat both of them so it doesn't matter

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 04:21:25 AM
would you rather

spend a day with your favorite composer (you can have conversations, impromptu performances for each other, or have sex idk (Ladies loved the Liszt)) and then not being able to play their pieces for the rest of your life...or would you rather be able to play their pieces perfectly but also have to endure the music of your least favorite pieces+composer everyday for the rest of your life?

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 04:27:23 AM
Visitor be like...damn I can play Scriabin's Op. 28 perfectly but I'll also have to listen to Schuman's piano concerto everyday before going to work and sleep.  ;D ;D ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 08:00:05 AM

ok wait no

Sorry, been busy...But we had a lot of fun playing with cow poo at the country as a child you know ;)
And I have little interest to play either Rach or even Chopin anymore...Scriabin it must be! And fugues... I had no idea they are so much fun. Want get to Shosty's d minor next and that will take a little bit time...

So it's a no brainer.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 08:04:35 AM
would you rather

spend a day with your favorite composer (you can have conversations, impromptu performances for each other, or have sex idk (Ladies loved the Liszt)) and then not being able to play their pieces for the rest of your life...or would you rather be able to play their pieces perfectly but also have to endure the music of your least favorite pieces+composer everyday for the rest of your life?

Could I cheat? Spend the day with Mozart and then never have to hear his stuff ever again :)

Would you rather stop coming to Piano Street or never play your favorite composer again?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 01:43:02 AM
Visitor be like...damn I can play Scriabin's Op. 28 perfectly but I'll also have to listen to Schuman's piano concerto everyday before going to work and sleep.  ;D ;D ;D  ;D  ;D
that's tough,  I wonder of the sublime Scriabin is a strong enough chaser to wash away that blasted concerto. if i could play through it after having to endure that thing it might be worth it

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 02:20:43 AM
that's tough,  I wonder of the sublime Scriabin is a strong enough chaser to wash away that blasted concerto. if i could play through it after having to endure that thing it might be worth it

Huh. Oddly enough I don't care much for the Schumann either. But don't even mention Verse la Flame to me. I just don't like that piece, period. Don't know why. I just don't.

Could I cheat? Spend the day with Mozart and then never have to hear his stuff ever again Smiley

Would you rather stop coming to Piano Street or never play your favorite composer again?

Easy, stop Piano Street. This place is an online troll-den. Really, I don't know why I came here in the first place ...

Just kidding.

But seriously, honestly that's a small price to pay in exchange for being allowed to play Rachmaninoff (or Beethoven or Chopin or Liszt ... it changes day to day) again.

Able to play one piece of music perfectly but nothing else ever, or have all your piano recordings be Lang Lang's?
Practicing:

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 05:43:02 AM
Huh. Oddly enough I don't care much for the Schumann either. But don't even mention Verse la Flame to me. I just don't like that piece, period. Don't know why. I just don't.

Easy, stop Piano Street. This place is an online troll-den. Really, I don't know why I came here in the first place ...

Just kidding.

But seriously, honestly that's a small price to pay in exchange for being allowed to play Rachmaninoff (or Beethoven or Chopin or Liszt ... it changes day to day) again.

Able to play one piece of music perfectly but nothing else ever, or have all your piano recordings be Lang Lang's?

I'd rather play like Lang Lang he's rich lol

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: March 03, 2018, 05:34:17 AM
I'd rather play like Lang Lang he's rich lol

And shunned by most level-headed pianists... you might enjoy the money, but you'll regret the shame

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: March 03, 2018, 06:26:42 AM
And shunned by most level-headed pianists... you might enjoy the money, but you'll regret the shame

It's cool I'll wipe my tears with a stack of benjamins lol

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: March 03, 2018, 06:51:46 AM
It's cool I'll wipe my tears with a stack of benjamins lol
Now that would make great album cover ;)

What you need is a good manager who knows how to exploit you...you have the right attitude!

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: March 03, 2018, 09:47:42 AM

As long as I get to choose the piece I'd rather play one piece perfectly.

Would you rather be history's greatest performer or history's greatest teacher?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: March 03, 2018, 12:14:39 PM
:-\

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: March 03, 2018, 12:32:28 PM
:-\

Or substitute "playing Schumann" after you're.  ;D
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: March 03, 2018, 01:28:03 PM
Or substitute "playing Schumann" after you're.  ;D
yes!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: March 03, 2018, 10:49:56 PM
Now that would make great album cover ;)

What you need is a good manager who knows how to exploit you...you have the right attitude!

hahaha that would be like an album cover for a rapper

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: March 04, 2018, 04:06:33 AM
hahaha that would be like an album cover for a rapper

Exactly...lesson 1 in how to attract new audiences...

Oh, how about the Gould method? Instead of humming on Bach you could rap on your Scarbo 8)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: March 04, 2018, 04:18:01 AM

Oh, how about the Gould method? Instead of humming on Bach you could rap on your Scarbo 8)

does have some sick bass drops

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #40 on: March 04, 2018, 04:30:26 AM
As long as I get to choose the piece I'd rather play one piece perfectly.

Would you rather be history's greatest performer or history's greatest teacher?

Greatest teacher, absolutely. Would you rather break a hand or your home grand piano (imagine you own a grand, first of all)?
Practicing:

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: March 11, 2018, 11:44:15 PM

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHA spitting bars on scarbo lmao

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 11:47:35 PM
Greatest teacher, absolutely. Would you rather break a hand or your home grand piano (imagine you own a grand, first of all)?

I've already broken my hand before so yeah my hand.  I'll get over it

Play any piece by Schubert or have 6 dollars and a pack of cigarettes

Offline beethovenfan01

Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 05:43:11 PM
BAAAAHAHAHAHAHA spitting bars on scarbo lmao

Oh good idea, I must try that sometime!!! Well, anyway, it might make for an entertaining exercise.

I've already broken my hand before so yeah my hand.  I'll get over it

Play any piece by Schubert or have 6 dollars and a pack of cigarettes

Schubert. I don't smoke.

Would you rather play your favorite piece perfectly or the Schubert 4-hand Fantasie in F minor with Yuja Wang?
Practicing:

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: March 21, 2018, 05:00:07 PM
Oh good idea, I must try that sometime!!! Well, anyway, it might make for an entertaining exercise.

Schubert. I don't smoke.

Would you rather play your favorite piece perfectly or the Schubert 4-hand Fantasie in F minor with Yuja Wang?

It's harder to get a gig with Yuja so I'd play the Schubert with Yuja.  And that would be a lot better for a career.

Pieces for left hand only or right hand only

Offline pianoville

Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 12:41:40 PM
It's harder to get a gig with Yuja so I'd play the Schubert with Yuja.  And that would be a lot better for a career.

Pieces for left hand only or right hand only

Definetely left hand. Then I can play Ravels left hand concerto for the rest of my life!
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: March 25, 2018, 10:33:22 AM
Would you rather only play Fuer Elise for the rest of your life, or Rondo alla Turca? You /have/ to pick one
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: March 25, 2018, 11:14:55 AM
Would you rather only play Fuer Elise for the rest of your life, or Rondo alla Turca? You /have/ to pick one
Nope, I'd rather close the lid forever.

Would you rather lose all the white keys on your piano or all the black ones?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: March 25, 2018, 02:32:59 PM
Nope, I'd rather close the lid forever.

Would you rather lose all the white keys on your piano or all the black ones?

all black ones duh

play like god for but after 20 years you get carpal tunnel and can't play ever again or play at your current level for the rest of your life

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: March 25, 2018, 08:11:18 PM
play like a god..

would you rather be forced to massage your piano for 12 hours a day or have rachmaninoff's handing constantly floating around and touching your face for 20 hours a day.  and if you smell something good, then hand will plug  your nose.
i'm not asian
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert