Piano Forum

Topic: .  (Read 1867 times)

Offline ca88313

• PS Silver Member
on: March 12, 2018, 05:09:03 PM

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: How did you discover Western classical music?
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:18:02 PM
I was excavating a cave in the bermuda triangle for a secret government mission and unearthed a hidden tomb, there i discovered a horror long forgotten by the world: hanon exercises for the accordion.

Offline dogperson

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:50:00 PM
By watching Looney Tunes cartoons. 

Offline ca88313

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:58:26 PM

Offline dogperson

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:56:25 PM

Here is a compilation of Looney Tunes classical music
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=classical+music+in+cartoons&t=iphone&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=F5-fP4QpL0A

If anyone  asks me why I study classical piano, I would have to answer ‘cartoons’ as  my parents did not play an instrument nor listen to classical music. 

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:00:32 PM
The movie 'Shine'. I was already playing piano at that point but mostly blues and rock piano. After I saw Shine, my world changed.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:35:03 PM
My father, a very good ragtime player, also loved playing Chopin, and my first few years were filled with these sounds every day. My first piano teacher introduced me to the music of the others, and an intense quest to hear classical music continued into my twenties. I studied and played a number of classical pieces with my second teacher but became obsessed with improvisation over the next few decades and now, at seventy, I don't really like classical music any more. I don't dislike it either, it just doesn't move me as it used to.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline ca88313

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 11:18:02 PM

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 12:04:35 AM
I was forced into it lol

I naturally grew up listening to R&B and rap
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline dogperson

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 12:16:08 AM
I think you will change your mind if you listen to classical music in just intonation and well temperament. Equal temperament makes classical music bland but these two tuning systems can resolve that problem and make classical music sound the way it always should have sounded:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=64845.0

Please!!! Each of us is entitled like what we like, without any “oh just listen to this composer and you will love it “or “with equal temperament and just intonation you will love it again”.  If you aren’t moved by classical, there is a lot of other wonderful music.... it’s all personal.

Offline ca88313

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 12:24:24 AM

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 12:27:34 AM
I'd always listened to it growing up, but never really paid attention

Dated an oboe player my freshman year of college, and she wanted me to accompany her, so I began listening to the Mozart Oboe Concerto in C (she was playing that lol). Then I fell deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole, and after we broke up, I thought I would "become amazing at piano" so she could "see what she's missing out on."

After a while, I just genuinely fell in love with classical music and it wasn't even about her anymore and I was happier.
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 12:42:16 AM
all the other good music was already taken by the time it was my turn

I told myself as long as it got better than that Bobby Schumann stuff, I could live with it.

glad I did otherwise years later i would never have discovered stuff like this existed

this is is radder than 1980s bmx
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline ryoutak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 01:40:51 AM
I've listen to classical music from cartoons and games when I was a kid but never really paid any full attention to it. I love some of the classical music, but never knew they were classical music (such as Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Chopin's Grande Valse Brilliante, Bach's Minuet in G Major BWV 114 etc).

I've started paying more attention to classical music when I was listening to Tartini's Sonata in G Minor (Devil's Trill) in an anime called Yami no Matsuei. I immediately fell in love with the sound of the violin and bought two of the anime's Original Soundtrack. The composer's classical music-influenced pieces in the OST is so amazing that I started to become more accepting of classical music style during my teenage years. (note: "Zetsubou no Shinen" is an amazing piano-violin piece!)

During my college years, since I have a strong admiration for violin that I just decided to try listening to real violin classical music. And I stumble upon Gil Shaham's Carmen Fantasy. It was both godly and mesmerizing. I immediately became a huge fan of him and bought his CD "Dance with the Devil". Till this day, Gil Shaham has remained one of my most favourite violinist in my heart.

Listening to both Gil Shaham's CD and Yami no Matsuei's Original Soundtrack has slowly encourage me to try listening to piano classicals. Coincidentally, the first video that I listened to in Youtube is Sviatoslav Richter's Mozart Piano Concerto No.5. My mind was blown away. This man is an absolute genius! I just can't help but keep staring at the video and listening to this piece every single day for almost a year! Because of this piece, he managed to convince me that piano is such a beautiful and wonderful instrument that after a few months later I decided to enroll in my first ever music lesson (which is piano) in my 20's and since then I've explored other piano pieces and enjoyed it more than ever. And that is how I started appreciating more about classical music and have decided to seriously pursue music in my life.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post, and hope you enjoy Richter's Mozart Piano Concerto No. 5 below, which has motivated and inspired me to choose piano as my first musical instrument to learn.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 04:21:33 AM
and after we broke up, I thought I would "become amazing at piano" so she could "see what she's missing out on."

baaaaaahahhahaahahhahahaahahahhhhahaha
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 05:16:26 AM
baaaaaahahhahaahahhahahaahahahhhhahaha

Haha that's the best way to get over a relationship imo - improving yourself

Offline ryoutak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 05:49:13 AM
Haha that's the best way to get over a relationship imo - improving yourself

Have you achieved your goal yet?

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 07:01:12 AM
Have you achieved your goal yet?

I mean I don't think I'll ever be 100% satisfied with my skill, because I'm the type that always wants to improve

After I got over her, it was like "wow, here's all these skills I worked really hard to develop that I didn't have before! So thanks!" I don't think she cares, honestly, but I worked so hard to learn how to cook, play piano, I studied super hard, I worked out, I did all these things I never had the motivation to do before, but suddenly did

So that was cool, I guess; I guess I'm happy where I am. I improved myself and got over her. And I just happened to get a great work ethic out of it too, so that's cool
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert