Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff Prelude 1, Op. 32 Problems  (Read 1764 times)

Offline mfwettlaufer

Rachmaninoff Prelude 1, Op. 32 Problems
on: April 04, 2018, 03:29:19 AM
Hi, I'm working on Prelude No. 1, Op 32 of Rachmaninoff and am struggling with some of the accidentals--I'm uncertain when do they carry over within the measure and when do they not.  For example measure 8, the F# in the left hand (treble clef) would imply that the chord in the right hand that follows (B, F, and G) would be an F# not a F natural.  But it seems like it could go either way and I am unconvinced that it sounds better as F#.  Another case is measure 23, which is the most confusing--the E flat in the right and left hand at the start of the measure would imply an E flat immediately following in the right hand but it doesn't make sense since the line is descending chromatically and would really make sense as E natural.  Same thing happens in the left hand a little later, same measure, where the E should be flat but it sounds like it should be natural.  The reason I question that the accidentals carry over is because of measure 18--in that case they definitely do not carry over.  The G flat in the left hand implies G flat in the right hand but that doesn't work at all.  Any feedback from people who have studied this piece would be welcomed.  Thank you!

Offline dw4rn

• PS Gold Member
Re: Rachmaninoff Prelude 1, Op. 32 Problems
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:42:07 AM
They carry over within the measure but not from the right hand to the left and vice versa.
I think that answers all your doubts except the one about the left hand in m. 23, where I would play E flat.

Offline mfwettlaufer

Re: Rachmaninoff Prelude 1, Op. 32 Problems
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:34 PM
Thank you!!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert