Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How do y’all “study” recordings?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline abr314

• PS Silver Member
How do y’all “study” recordings?
on: May 25, 2018, 02:11:29 PM
Say you’ve decided to do a deep dive on the interpretations of a single performer. What procedure do you use to learn a significant amount about her interpretive choices? Is it simply repeated listening, or do you approach it more like a “judge” and actively make markings in a score while listening?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: How do y’all “study” recordings?
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:17:46 PM
you need to listen to a bunch of of recordings by different artists of the said piece to get an idea of what is traditional and customary or consensus on basic interpretation then you compare said artist against that standard

Offline afarmboysforte

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:03:55 PM
I agree with visitor. I can judge a piece without knowing it well, but I enjoy the process much more when I am familiar with what it sounds like, and know the "standard" for everything. From there, when I deeply analyze a particular artist's interpretation, I sit with a score in front of me (usually digital) and make marks just like an adjudicator might. Then I ask myself questions much like the "rubrics" that judges sometime use. Technical stability, rhythm, intonation if applicable, and respect for the composer's intention are all the easiest factors. Then I ask myself, how much of what the performer is wanting to do coming through to the audience? Even with interpretations I don't like, a great artist is able to convey what they want. Oftentimes, I feel like I only succeed at 30-50 % of the musical and technical messages I wish to communicate at best, which is why I'm not a good artist. Take Richter for example. Not everyone's favorite, but in some of his recordings, I can see that he is nearly 100% successful at doing what he would like with the piece (not always.. richter is sometimes hit and miss, but I was just using him as an example.) And finally, how does it compare to what the composer wanted, and what do I think about it?

Hopefully my cluttered thoughts make sense  ;)

Offline abr314

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 05:57:58 PM
That made a lot of sense and was quite helpful. Thank you!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:34:15 AM
I've found it interesting to use Audacity software to "play" with a recording a bit.  Slow it down.  Split it up, phrase by phrase.  Especially for comparing two performers, it seemed to help.

It probably takes less brain power/attention in doing that.  With multiple listenings there's more to absorb.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert