Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin prelude op28 no7  (Read 1462 times)

Offline realpiano

• PS Silver Member
Chopin prelude op28 no7
on: June 06, 2018, 07:42:50 PM
I've been playing this for a few years now, and has it improved?

https://soundcloud.com/userclassicalpiano/chopin-prelude-op28no7-m4a

Offline dogperson

Re: Chopin prelude op28 no7
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 09:55:11 PM
I can’t answer the question about whether it’s improved, but I can make a suggestion now that you have the notes and rhythm.  You have quite a long pause at the end of phrases, and I suggest to shorten them: think  of being a flutist who is just taking a small half breath.

At 8:34, listen to how Yuja Wang  handles the phrasing. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pSpf9bKK_Zk

Offline realpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 09:19:41 AM
......You have quite a long pause at the end of phrases, and I suggest to shorten them: think  of being a flutist who is just taking a small half breath.

At 8:34, listen to how Yuja Wang  handles the phrasing. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pSpf9bKK_Zk
Thank you for your comment.
I do accept your comment, and whilst playing you don't realise the pauses are longer than necessary.
Recording yourself helps, hence my posting!
Yuja Wang recital is wonderful, something to work towards.
thanks again

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 10:54:16 AM
Rubato: the temporary disregarding of strict tempo to allow an expressive quickening or slackening, usually without altering the overall pace...

I can't really hear an accurate tempo in your performance.

I watched a tutorial online regarding rubato and losing the underlying rhythms of pieces, and 2 suggestions

1. Play with a metronome with 0 rubato, keeping the piece fully in time with the rhythm. Get that underlying feel of the beat, and then when it comes to performance, you will find yourself keeping more in beat and taking a more defined rubato.

2. Play the piece faster than indicated. Again you can do this with a metronome but I'd suggest doing without. Play it around 1.5x the speed (only where practical) and still include your rubato, but at the 1.5x speed.  What this does it keep you moving the piece along and again shortening your rubatos.

You will soon notice the pauses are then more in line with the piece rather than our own expression taking over too much - all too common in Chopin performances.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline realpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:11:00 PM
adodd81802,
Thanks for your comments.  I will definitely try your 2 suggestions.
Rubato is always a problem for me to accomplish. :(
thanks again
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert