Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Old school vs. new school pianist performances  (Read 1061 times)

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Old school vs. new school pianist performances
on: June 10, 2018, 03:02:50 PM
I've attended piano concerts given by some of the greats..Brendel, Watts, Axe. As those performers perform less publicly, I've attended concerts with some of the up and coming pianists.

I've noticed that the greats seem very "still" at the piano.  And, that the newer performers move their bodies more so.

Anyone else noticed this, and are younger pianists taught to use more of their bodies in playing?

Offline pianoville

Re: Old school vs. new school pianist performances
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:11:34 PM
Many of todays pianists do it to cover up for their lack of real musicality (not all though). Of course the normal audience will fall for these kinds of cheap tricks. Lang Lang is a great example of this.
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline dogperson

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 04:34:35 PM
I was never taught to use more of my body when playing.... I just always have done it that way. But I have an old style  teacher, who has made me learn to play with virtually no movement. I personally find it unnatural and uncomfortable , but I am forcing myself to adapt.

I am not a young pianist, but I’m just wondering if young pianists now are allowed more freedom by their teachers..... Rather than  being taught to use their bodies more. In other words, maybe their natural movement is not being stifled

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 04:45:18 PM
I was never taught to use more of my body when playing.... I just always have done it that way. But I have an old style  teacher, who has made me learn to play with virtually no movement. I personally find it unnatural and uncomfortable , but I am forcing myself to adapt.

I am not a young pianist, but I’m just wondering if young pianists now are allowed more freedom by their teachers..... Rather than  being taught to use their bodies more. In other words, maybe their natural movement is not being stifled

The same with my teacher who is rather "old school" I guess...was difficult at first to rely on "only as much as necessary" movements, but I do think I play better when I sit still and use the energy to listening. Maybe that's why the "old ones" do sound so good...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert