Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Could you comment on my recording of Heroic Polonaise?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline tonytwo

Hi there, I'm a current freshman at a high school. I've been playing this piece for about 3 months without the advice from teachers. Could you comment on my recording especially the improvements I can make? Thanks! Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRR8bYms1fw

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Could you comment on my recording of Heroic Polonaise?
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:59:16 AM
post a working hyperlink to audition room  WIP disclaimer

Offline mrcreosote

• PS Silver Member
Re: Could you comment on my recording of Heroic Polonaise?
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 08:19:17 PM
Loved your impressive technique which I wish I had, but I'm not going to pull punches on interpretation.  Here is what I didn't like:  (note that I didn't say, "This is what's wrong:")

1) First, it wasn't exciting.  The Young Rubenstein is mesmerizing.  The Cziffra is still born so don't feel too bad.  You may have not spent enough time with this piece since technically mastering it.  Once you've completely forgotten about technical issues while playing it, you will naturally begin mining the emotion contained in those notes.

2) Rubato swings from excessive to non-existent.

3) Phrasing is weak.  Tempo too rigid, not enough low level rubato, sound level management, ...

Personally, I played this piece for a "talent show" in high school in 1968-ish and I truly hate the piece.  That is until I heard young Rubenstein a couple of years ago.  I contemplated adding it to my limited rep, but the memorization cost is too great given my age and other pieces I'd like to learn.  So maybe listening to R and Cz for that matter might give you an idea. 

Oh, and with any talk about Chopin, listen to Cortot. 

NOTE:  I don't know if listening to someone else's performance is going to help with expressing emotion.  Perhaps critiquing each performance as to how it makes you feel or if you wanted to turn it off from boredom.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert