Piano Forum

Violin vs. Piano – Interview with Augustin Hadelich
Zlata Chochieva, famous for her recording of the complete Chopin Etudes, commented that violinist Augustin Hadelich’s performance of a Nocturne on the violin was ‘the most beautiful Chopin’ she ever heard. In this interview, Hadelich, who happens to be an excellent pianist as well, talks about his love for the violin and the piano. Read more >>

Topic: Bach Partita #2 in C minor, Capriccio  (Read 1990 times)

Offline lotiro

Bach Partita #2 in C minor, Capriccio
on: June 25, 2018, 01:38:30 AM
Hi,

I need help starting from the 16th last measure of the piece.

In the 16th last measure, the f quarter note is held while the sixteenth notes: a flat, c, b flat, c is played.

In the next measure, the f quarter note is held while the sixteenth notes:  a flat, b flat, a flat, b flat is played.

In the next measure, the e flat quarter note is held while the sixteenth notes: g, b flat, a flat, b flat is played. 

This pattern of holding the quarter note and playing the sixteenth notes goes on for the next 3 measures.

I can't play all the sixteenth notes when I hold onto the quarter note.  Do professional pianists actually hold onto the quarter note?  It seems impossible to play.

If I should be holding onto the quarter note, how should I be practising this to be able to do this?

Thanks!

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach Partita #2 in C minor, Capriccio
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 10:40:24 PM
I think it's quite possible to hold the quarter notes, not sure how you are fingering it or why it seems especially difficult. I just played it playing the lower voice in the right hand with 2 on the f and 1 on the e natural, and 3,4,and 5 for the Ab, Bb, and C. Likewise for the other figures. That way it's never more than a third between 2 and 3, or a fifth between 2 and 5. Maybe I haven't understood your problem with the passage.

Offline lotiro

Re: Bach Partita #2 in C minor, Capriccio
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 11:30:48 PM
Thank you!
I changed my fingering based on your advice.
It's making it much easier to play!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert