Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Correct semiquaver notation  (Read 1736 times)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Correct semiquaver notation
on: August 25, 2018, 07:50:59 AM
Which of the following examples is the most appropriate way to notate semiquavers, in this instance?

To me, the first one does look like a more traditional example where you have to fill the start if the beat with semiquaver rests, however the second one to me looks much nicer, and far more convenient.

Is there anything wrong with EITHER of them?

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Correct semiquaver notation
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 08:56:29 AM
In the first example, presumably the intention is to hold the lower notes through each group; in the second all notes have equal duration. It depends on the required effect. You could always put tenuto marks in the second.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Correct semiquaver notation
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 10:26:14 AM
Thanks ted... I'm doing this by ear, so I'll have a think about how I want to notate it...

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert