Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's «Revolutionary» Etude in Octaves for Dreyschock Bicentenary  (Read 3201 times)

Offline octave_revolutionary

Hello, forum

As some of you may already know, the year 2018 is the bicentenary of the birth of Alexander Dreyschock, the pianist who has secured a place in history primarily for having played Chopin's «Revolutionary» Etude in octaves, instead of single left-hand notes, as it was originally composed. I have made an approximate reconstruction of it, at the following link:

And here is a really fast version, which I posted in 2017:

As for those of you that didn't like my first recording of it from 2016, I have to admit, you are absolutely right- I played it too slowly and without enough nuance or dynamic contrast. So here it is, at the above-mentioned links, with much re-thought over, but also played with much more abandon. These versions are both faster than the first one I posted, but for the intermediate-speed version, I've given preference to depth, rather than speed. I only hope I can do this arrangement justice.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
«Interesting»
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline octave_revolutionary

I've reuploaded this version, after uploading another slightly faster version, thinking it would be more popular, but this is probably the overall best I've ever played it:

(The link in the original post of this thread contains a slightly faster version, but I prefer 
the one in THIS message/reply).

BTW, if anyone has ever played an interesting Dreyschock piece, send me a link of the corresponding sheet music or of your performance, I'll really appreciate that.

LONG LIVE OCTAVES!!!!! 888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member

BTW, if anyone has ever played an interesting Dreyschock piece, send me a link of the corresponding sheet music or of your performance, I'll really appreciate that.

I've looked briefly at a couple but in my experience his harmonic sense isn't very inspired. Possibly the left hand variations (op.22) might interest you? It's on IMSLP. It has some aspects of technical interest imo as a pioneering lh only study, though in the early lh only works area I do find the fantasies of Adolfo Fumagalli to be more ingenious.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Indeed much of his output is not harmonically inspired, but it can be immense fun.  The Concertstuck which has now been recorded twice is a great tour de force and probably could be played as a solo.

The Sonata is cut from the same cloth, albeit a bit more demanding and is still awaiting a recording.

I hope one day someone will do it.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert