Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Help with recording digital piano?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline sgtxdiabetes

• PS Silver Member
Help with recording digital piano?
on: August 28, 2018, 04:35:27 PM
I have a Casio Privia PX-150 and I would like to record my audio both for posting in the audition section as well as for my own playback. The keyboard itself has a recording function, however, I don't think you can export that any sort of way. I've heard of people recording directly via one of the extra headphone jacks but I'm not sure what I need/how to do so. Other's will use the keyboards Midi/USB port to record in a daw using some sort of VST. I'm on a budget so I don't have some amazing Virtual instrument software. I hope I posted this in the correct forum :-[

If anyone has any suggestions on how I could record please leave suggestions below because I've seemingly scoured google/youtube for tutorials but nothing is ever clear-cut. I do have Reaper as a daw that I've messed with a bit so I do know how to install plugins, it's just a matter of finding a good virtual instrument. [ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help with recording digital piano?
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 06:50:19 PM
a linear pcm recorder with audio/microphone line in will do it, you'll use a 3.5mm auxillary cable to run the signal directly from keyboard to the recorder. there may be a way to do it with a computer and program to record an audio signal patched in but that sounds more complicated, get a good pcm recorder, i have a dual video/audio one, older, discontinued but works great , an olympus ls20m that does it, no doubt some of the other ones on the market ie zoom, etc should do it too

Offline sgtxdiabetes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 02:48:50 AM
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking at Zoom Handy recorders. To make things simple, I wonder if I should purchase the Q2n. It's a video recorder that can also capture good quality audio as it is marketed. It seems to have a Line in port I could directly record into? Or do you think it would be better to opt for something like the H4n and record video separately and then sync the audio/video?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 01:10:56 PM
it is probably one of the best little devices of this type on the market right now especially as a bang for buck value prop. seems to do what would need to, you'd likely use the aux cable to run the signal into the mic line in, plug headphones into your other headphones jack, hit record , then begin playing, , that's how i've done it.
https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/Q2n_English.pdf

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:41:12 AM
I have a digital piano.  I run a cable from the port to my computer.  My previous DP only had headphone jacks so I used that.  You can get Goldwave software for free on trial, and the license is around $45 I think.  There is also Audacity, but the learning curve was too steep for me (or I was too lazy).  I would think that this is the cheapest option, and probably for the purest sound.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 01:14:50 PM
I have a Zoom H2.

I can use it as a standalone recorder, or as a microphone to feed Audacity on a laptop.  That is convenient, because I can play a short segment then listen to it immediately on good speakers, and I can save files for tracking progress.  It's easy to do.  The Zoom has a USB output, and Audacity is free.  I can't remember if there was a learning curve, I've been using it for years. 

In either case I'm recording sound from the room air, not output from the piano.

My digital piano has a MIDI output, and I have recorded that way.  But this would require you to buy a MIDI-USB interface to get the MIDI into your computer. 

Oh, wait, I just checked the owner's manual for your Casio.  MIDI uses a USB cable so you don't need an interface, just an A-B USB cable.  So you can send MIDI to your PC,

or,
you can send song data back and forth.  It's all in the manual. 

I use freeware Anvil Studio to record MIDI, but any notation program or DAW will work.  But if you can figure out a DAW you're smarter than me.
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert