Piano Forum

Topic: Hough/Litton Rach  (Read 2274 times)

Offline pianopoet

• PS Silver Member
Hough/Litton Rach
on: January 22, 2005, 10:06:34 PM
Is it just me or has there not been a lot said about Hough's recent recording? What are your opinions on his complete set?  I lent it to a friend who returned it saying it was disgusting. Needless to say he an I now have little in common when it comes to interpretation. Nevertheless, please comment on this set. I'd love everyone's input on it. If it has already been a topic, please direct  ;)

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hough/Litton Rach
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 02:36:52 AM
I don't think this has been a topic. I'll say right from the start that I agree with your friend - this is without a doubt the least favorite of any set of these concertos that I've ever heard. For all of Hough's disciplined, careful research in how these pieces were meant to be played, he seems utterly devoid of honest musicality. He plays fast - which is fine - but it seems like he's laboring over every passage, trying to get them to sound exactly a certain, very specific way. He blazes through many beautiful moments which could be played with a lot more carefree ease. If you listen to Rachmaninoff's own recordings, which Hough so carefully studied, you'll notice that besides the speed and accuracy of notes, there's little that's similar between the two. Rachmaninoff gives a studied, restrained interperetation for sure, but he plays with such ease that his blistering pace seems to flow beautifully, unrushed and alive. Hough sounds like he's trying to win a race or something... ech, I'm going in circles, you get the idea. For a full set, look at Rafael Orozco's 4 concerto/Rhapsody recordings -

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000004167/qid=1082408439/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/002-7082501-3945643?v=glance&s=classical

This is one of my favorite complete sets - it's pretty cheap, and features my favorite interperetation of the 4th concerto, as well as wonderful renditions of the other pieces. Otherwise, I would stick with Rachmaninoff's recordings of the concertos - despite the lousy recording quality, he plays his own concertos better than anyone else (and I don't say this because it's Rachmaninoff - I really do like these recordings best  :)).

For other pianists, I love Rubinstein's 2nd concerto, Graffman's is pretty good too. Horowitz' 3rd concerto is overrated, in my humble, humble opinion. Benno Moiseiwitsch gives some very unique interperetations of the concertos - rather fresh and original compared to much of what comes out on CDs these days.

So there's my two cents.
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 03:49:38 AM
What can I say? I was present when these concertos were recorded, and every time I left the hall shaking my head. Most of the audience was dazzled by Houghs incredible virtuosity, but hey, they were also dazzled by Lang Lang's Tchaikowski, which was just plain dreadful. Anyway, I even had a little chat with Andrew Litton asking him quite frankly what he was thinking. Well, I wasn't quite that frank, but I asked him how and why he and Hough decided to pull it off this way. Litton's answer was that he usually lets the soloist decide how a concerto is going to be performed, but he admitted that they did have a few shouting matches.

I did get the CDs (for sentimental reasons), and as I listen to them they are kind of growing on me. It will still be a long way until I really like these performances. I love the orchestra, it's as good as it gets, and the acoustics of the hall is outstanding. Overall, I don't think anymore that Hough's interpretation is that "bad". It's different, and I don't mean this in a bad way (as opposed to Lang Lang's "interpretations").

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 03:57:48 AM
Well, I guess I should mention that I certainly haven't let these recordings grow on me - I've barely had the heart to listen to any of the concertos in their entirety, and I don't own the CDs so I can't replay anything or listen over and over. I tend to be very opinionated when it comes to recordings I distinctly dislike, so please excuse me if I seem to go too far with my loathing tirade.  ;)
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline pianopoet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 10:29:24 AM
Ok - This is interesting. On the one hand, I can agree with the fact that some of the recordings seem rushed - Especially the big melody at the end of #2, HOWEVER, #1 and the Rhapsody are, in my humble and seemingly lonesome opinion, miracles of recent recordings. There's an energy to his playing that I find SO refreshing! The glissando at the end of the Rhapsody blows me away everytime! So, I guess #2 & #3 are not the best, even though they are apparently some of the most note prefect recordings of the pieces. It will take a lot of convincing to turn me away from the Rhapsody and #1.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert