Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: I need some advice  (Read 2180 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
I need some advice
on: November 27, 2018, 05:31:11 AM
Alright so yo...

I’m doing auditions for DMA and certificates and stuff right?

I recorded everything for prescreenings and I’m like ight bet all I gotta do is edit this sh*t and I’m good to go

Turns out...

I recorded Gaspard twice right? BOTH OF MY RECORDINGS GOT CLIPPED IN THE LAST MINUTE OF SCARBO

So I got four options

1.  Send in an incomplete scarbo and hope they either don’t listen to the end or just pretend like I sent in the full thing and for whatever reason the last minute failed to upload.

2.  Send in an incomplete scarbo and email them letting them know what happened and hope they appreciate the honesty in a candidate

3.  Try to find a camcorder and pray that I can reserve the hall one more time re-record the scarbo after having not touched a piano in a week and a half and I gotta submit this by Friday

4.  Send in a worse year and a half old recording of scarbo with COMPLETELY different mic recording equipment, mic, outfit, haircut, piano, everything.  This guy over here:

So What do y’all think I should do here I’m kinda in panic mode.  And y’all know me this isn’t just a way to promote myself with an OKAY version of scarbo
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: I need some advice
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:50:32 AM
Depends how limiting they are.  I'd re-record, so possibly that's the best (and complete) on, so you can just put the whole thing together like nothing happened.

If you don't the new recording, include the original/chopped one.  I'd make it sound nicer and fade out the end though.  I'd include a note or something explaining what happened, although it maybe be better to just say the recording and backup recording got chopped.  It still could make you look bad, esp. if you mention that you're the one who controlled making the recording (if that's true).  So you say, "The recording and backup recording got chopped."  They wonder, "Who was in charge of the recording?" but never get an answer.  It doesn't answer the question of, "Why is he submitting an incomplete recording then?" though.

If there was a power outage that affected both recordings, I'd mention that.  If you've got enough of a recording, it probably really won't matter, depending on how much got chopped.  The people listening are probably just going to note (yuck yuck) the piece and how well you play about ten seconds of it.

So what I'd do...
Re-record.  Include/swap that if you like it better.  Don't mention it, or just stick a very short note, "Original recording got cut off at the end due to a power outage, so this is a re-recording."
If that doesn't work, maybe an older, complete recording with a note about that.
Depending on how well you like that older recording, just send it off incomplete.

If they're bring in you to play live later, the recording probably won't matter so much.

I'd keep any extra notes about the chopped recording short for them.  Otherwise, they're spending time on that instead of your playing.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 01:14:15 PM
Depends how limiting they are.  I'd re-record, so possibly that's the best (and complete) on, so you can just put the whole thing together like nothing happened.

If you don't the new recording, include the original/chopped one.  I'd make it sound nicer and fade out the end though.  I'd include a note or something explaining what happened, although it maybe be better to just say the recording and backup recording got chopped.  It still could make you look bad, esp. if you mention that you're the one who controlled making the recording (if that's true).  So you say, "The recording and backup recording got chopped."  They wonder, "Who was in charge of the recording?" but never get an answer.  It doesn't answer the question of, "Why is he submitting an incomplete recording then?" though.

If there was a power outage that affected both recordings, I'd mention that.  If you've got enough of a recording, it probably really won't matter, depending on how much got chopped.  The people listening are probably just going to note (yuck yuck) the piece and how well you play about ten seconds of it.

So what I'd do...
Re-record.  Include/swap that if you like it better.  Don't mention it, or just stick a very short note, "Original recording got cut off at the end due to a power outage, so this is a re-recording."
If that doesn't work, maybe an older, complete recording with a note about that.
Depending on how well you like that older recording, just send it off incomplete.

If they're bring in you to play live later, the recording probably won't matter so much.

I'd keep any extra notes about the chopped recording short for them.  Otherwise, they're spending time on that instead of your playing.

I also have another option of editing the last minute or so of ANOTHER take of the ending I did by itself into the chopped recording to make it complete but it’s a different camera angle and totally looks edited so I could still leave a note explaining what happened

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 01:55:45 PM
Rach
I’m so sorry you are in this situation!  Without really knowing how the committee will react, I would suggest that you retake the whole score, because that is the safest option in terms of the committee response . If you can’t do that, I would add the last minute to one of the previous ones and add an  explanatory note for the editing. 

Please let us Know how it goes, and best wishes! 

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 02:45:45 PM
Seeing as it's a potentially important recording for your future, I'd retake. I don't know if they have specifications about splicing / editing, but it would be normal if they did. It's a cynical world, and the thought is going to occur to them that your dropped ending is because you messed up, therefore you are saying you had a recording accident so as to cover it up. Good luck.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 05:22:19 PM
yep. redo.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 05:47:29 PM
Update

Can’t reserve the hall till Saturday and apps are due friday

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 05:49:04 PM
Update

Can’t reserve the hall till Saturday and apps are due friday
with stakes this high, you might call some recording studios off campus/private ones, see what kind of a deal you can get?

Offline dogperson

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 08:52:08 PM
with stakes this high, you might call some recording studios off campus/private ones, see what kind of a deal you can get?

... or maybe one of your colleagues would let you have their reserved slot?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 01:22:05 AM
You could use that as a selling point....  The recording got chopped, but you'd be happy to come in and play it live for them.    "If you'd like to hear more..."  "If you want to hear how it ends..."  Haha.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert