\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Coda of Ballade G minor - Chopin (Read 826 times)

Offline mypianoworld

• PS Silver Member
Coda of Ballade G minor - Chopin
« on: December 31, 2018, 09:54:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm working on Chopin's ballade in G minor Op. 23 at the moment and I'm having so much trouble with the coda. I have small hands and absolutely no idea how to make this work... Any ideas on how to practice? I accumulate so much tension having my hand stretched out for so long. Help! :( Wish I had bigger hands

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Re: Coda of Ballade G minor - Chopin
«Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »
My teacher(s) said in these cases the answer is in the wrist. For example, lay your hand and forearm flat on a table: then, keeping the finger tips in one place flex the wrist to the left and right; then, keeping the wrist in one place, move the hand to the left and right. In this way, you may start to get a feel for how flexible the wrist/hand combination needs to be. A fixed wrist position will fail big-time. Chopin's Op.10 #1 is a similar situation for the RH.

Think of snakes' movements as a guide maybe...

Offline pianoisthebest23

• PS Silver Member
Re: Coda of Ballade G minor - Chopin
«Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 03:23:49 PM »
I agree with g_s_223. Also, how are you going about legato work? If you're working too hard to connect each note/chord to the next, that can bog you down and cause tension. Connect what you can and select specific notes in a chord that you can connect to the next. Use the pedal to help with the rest. Good luck!! :)
"Time is still the best critic, and patience the best teacher." - Frederic Chopin