Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: question about the 5/8 rhythm in "Zortzico" by Albeniz  (Read 3010 times)

Offline kalospiano

question about the 5/8 rhythm in "Zortzico" by Albeniz
on: February 28, 2019, 11:12:33 AM
Hi all, I've already posted this question without much luck and I hope somebody here will manage to help me understand this.

I was casually scrolling through the score of Albeniz' op. 165 when I tried to mentally read the last work, Zortzico.

The piece is in 5/8 time and the left hand plays at each measure:

quaver - dotted quaver - semiquaver - dotted quaver - semiquaver.

What I found strange is that every single record I've listened to seem to play this in something closer to a 4/4, with the left hand going:

quaver - quaver - semiquaver - quaver - semiquaver

For reference, the recordings I listened to are by Baremboim and Alicia De Larrocha, and one guitar version (last piece in each link here below). What I hear sometimes is just some rubato, but it doesn't really feel like the dotted quavers are actually being held for their whole duration, so I hear more a 4/4 than a 5/8...

Is it just me hearing it wrong?

Or am I reading the rhythm incorrectly?