Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Teaching Piano... on Skype!  (Read 1183 times)

Offline dinulip

• PS Silver Member
Teaching Piano... on Skype!
on: March 06, 2019, 04:03:01 PM
Does anyone here have experience teaching piano on Skype?  One of my favourite students, who is 10 years old, is moving back to India, and we are considering this option...  I would like to know how this works...

Offline 0range

• PS Silver Member
Re: Teaching Piano... on Skype!
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 03:48:39 PM
I have not taught, but learned piano over Skype, I moved away from my teacher and carried on for a time via Skype. (Oh, I wonder if I was one of the favorites?   :-\ Hehe)

As far as Skype, it largely depends on what sort of access to technology you both have, how tech savvy you are, and network conditions between you. I can't recall ever making a call to India, but frequently to China (from the US) for business and sometimes it was crystal clear, sometimes it was unusable. I sometimes would use GMail or Discord's video streaming service, but in general they all seemed to suffer the same condition.

The teaching seemed nearly as effective as when I was in person, although I would much prefer to have lessons in person.
"Our philosophy as New Scientist is this: science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can *** off."

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert