Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Repertoire Suggestions  (Read 2146 times)

Offline lukepettyjohn

• PS Silver Member
Repertoire Suggestions
on: April 08, 2019, 01:37:25 AM
I am currently working on the following classical pieces.  I also play piano for church so I practice arrangements of hymns and other Christian songs as well (Mark Hayes, Marilynn Ham, Cindy Berry, etc.) and I practice for congregational playing.  Additionally, i work a full time job as an elementary music teacher, but anyway, here are the classical pieces I am currently working on.

Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No. 1 in B Flat Minor

Brahms Rhapsody in G Minor

Debussy Ballade

I am thinking that once I make more progress on these pieces I should maybe add a piece from the Baroque or Classical Periods?

Offline dogperson

Re: Repertoire Suggestions
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 01:50:14 AM
Really like Bach Adagio BWV 974
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6UFHBMP03yE

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 03:27:20 AM
play whatever you like,  I would also consider some Stanchinsky. the songs without words are really nice

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 05:49:54 PM
Do something earlier than 1800, or possibly later than 1920. Variety is important especially at this stage of learning.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline lukepettyjohn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 11:55:04 PM
Thank you for the suggestions everyone.  The Bach adagio is beautiful and I normally don’t care for Bach’s music (Am I allowed to say that?). I have never heard of Stanchinsky but his Songs Without Words are beautiful.  Since it was suggested that I learn something before 1800 I was thinking maybe finishing one of the full sonatas I learned just the first movement of earlier Beethoven Op 14 no. 1 and Mozart K. 457.  I also like the sound of Beethoven’s sonatas Op 14 no 2, Op. 28 and Op. 10 No. 1.  As far as Baroque repertoire goes, I have only played one Bach prelude and fugue before (the one in a flat from book one).  Like I said before, I don’t enjoy Bach.  I actually do like the sound of some of Scarlatti’s sonatas and Handel’s keyboard suites, though.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 03:46:56 PM
Like I said before, I don’t enjoy Bach.

Careful making blanket statements. Some music is not as easy to appreciate as others, but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't appreciate and grow to love it with more understanding. Remember baroque music is centered around harmony, structure, and order. Whereas Mozart and especially Beethoven enjoyed breaking rules for the sake of breaking them, don't underestimate the value of perfectly executed theory and harmonic perfection. Such music makes us able to enjoy those who came later. We had to have a standard before we could break it.
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 04:59:11 PM
here's a good way to play some Bach, but not really, this is tough as heck w those 10th stretches in the RH i gave up trying this after a while but man i love this arrangment
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert