Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Using Stimulant Drugs to Practice  (Read 15939 times)

Offline Pianostudy

• PS Silver Member
Using Stimulant Drugs to Practice
on: January 24, 2005, 09:37:02 PM
I find that when I take stimulants such as adderall, dexedrine, etc it helps me a tremendous deal in practice.  Depending on how much I take, I can continue practicing for much longer than without taking it.  I do much greater practice in detail, and spend a lot longer getting the music ironed out exactly as it should be, and work towards perfection.  The only down-sides I find is I feel like a zombie for the rest of the day, and the actual come-down is pretty horrible sometimes.  Does anyone else have any experience with using stimulants to aid their practice?  Anyone have any feedback for reasons why this is not such a good idea?  Thanks.

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Re: Using Stimulant Drugs to Practice
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 09:58:59 PM
1) https://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,6445.0.html

2) It's a drug.

3) It's not you playing; it's a drug.  Don't do it.

>:(

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 10:07:07 PM
I find that when I take stimulants such as adderall, dexedrine, etc it helps me a tremendous deal in practice.  Depending on how much I take, I can continue practicing for much longer than without taking it.  I do much greater practice in detail, and spend a lot longer getting the music ironed out exactly as it should be, and work towards perfection.  The only down-sides I find is I feel like a zombie for the rest of the day, and the actual come-down is pretty horrible sometimes.  Does anyone else have any experience with using stimulants to aid their practice?  Anyone have any feedback for reasons why this is not such a good idea?  Thanks.

Reminds me of the Wall Street guys in the '80s - "I do coke, so I can work longer, so I can make more money, so I can do more coke, so I can work longer, so I can make more money, so I can do more coke, so I can..."

There is nothing in life for which it is worth turning yourself into a junkie.  Adderall,  and dexedrine have high  abuse potential and dependence profiles. Side effects can range from high blood pressure, to  phonetic tics, Tourettes Syndrom, irregular brain development, feelings of suspicion and paranoia (hmm, sounds like some speed-freaks I knew back in high school. They always thought the quality of their work was better on speed. In fact, their work s@cked because they were strung out).

But, hey!. You got those extra couple of measures down.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline BRC

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 10:18:28 PM
Research with stroke patients has shown that small doses of stimulants aids the re-learning of motor functions lost by the stroke, and this probably also applies to motor tasks such as practicing the piano.

However, given the potential serious side effects of these drugs, addiction being one of the most common, it's just too risky to your health to be using these drugs the way you are.  

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 10:27:00 PM
I'm certainly no angel, I've done plenty of drugs in my life. I am certain of one thing, though. No drug I ever did ever helped me play the piano better.

Beyond the fact that it's a drug and it's "bad to do drugs," anything you do regularly in practicing shows up in your performances, including your state of mind. If you practice every day while all cranked up on methamphetamines, when it comes time for performance, your mind will be partially relying on that substance to operate "correctly" (or more accurately, the way it's used to). Essentially, you will need that drug to perform EVERY time you sit at the piano, not just for practicing. You will become a junkie by nature. Also, don't fool yourself, these types of drugs are very addicting. As you said yourself, it sucks coming down and you feel like a zombie the rest of the day, which eventually will get worse and cause you to do it more often.

Peace,
Bri

Offline Troldhaugen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 11:28:47 PM
I think resorting to drugs is only for the feeble-minded (unless there is a medical reason). I wouldn't even think about it. It's not worth trying.

Offline puma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 03:24:25 AM
Don't get me wrong, adderall is a wonderful drug when used under medical supervision for those people who need it.  But if you start abusing it, without a rx or supervision ... be forewarned.  The risks have been listed - dependency is one of them.  All amphetamine and metamphetamine (think weight loss drugs) are schedule II drugs under Federal Law - most states keep them as schedule II.  Which means a high potential for abuse and limited medical acceptance by the medical community.

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 04:45:55 PM
DONT, DONT, DONT :-\. The only possible exceptions = caffine and chocolate and even these should not be sustained and I don't recommend too much coffee before a performance in fact I know a teacher who recommends O coffee for a week before a performance (so those of you with busy schedules - looks like you'll have to give up coffee completely!! ;))

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 06:53:49 PM
Relating to both the original post and pianowelsh's previous post on coffee:

If you want something that will stimulate your mind, try drinking green tea. I was an avid coffee drinker until about a year ago, when a friend of mine turned me onto Yerba  Mate (a member of the green tea family, from South America). I've been drinking it ever since, and I don't miss coffee the slightest bit.

See, coffee is like crack. It gives you quick jolt, and then about an hour later, you totally crash, and you need to keep guzzling coffee all day. Coffee also gives you a nervous type of energy (jittery feeling).

Not only is Mate much healthier than coffee (it contains nutrients and antioxidents), but its much, much easier on your system. It contains "mateine", which is chemically similar to caffeine, but is slower acting and longer lasting. It doesn't give you the immediate buzz of coffee, but I think it gives you more overall energy. It's "relaxed" energy, meaning that you won't feel jittery and "cracked out" like with coffee. It's also longer lasting and slower to wear off, so it doesn't have the drop-off, or "crash" effect that coffee has. So you can drink a couple cups of mate and still be on the ball 3-4 hours later.

Personally I find that it gives me the same focused kind of energy as something like adderall. In fact, I've taken adderall before, so I can say firsthand that the effect is just as good, if not better. Other people I know that drink it say the same thing. Plus, it's good for you, so you can't lose.

Peace,
Bri

Offline mound

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 09:09:04 PM
do yourself a favor and record one of these practice sessions and then when you are sober, go back and listen to it critically.

Offline Pianostudy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 09:33:31 PM
do yourself a favor and record one of these practice sessions and then when you are sober, go back and listen to it critically.

I think some of you may have misunderstood me.  I'm not talking about the street drug "ice" or crystal meth, I'm talking about the prescribed medication (which incidentally I have a prescription for) adderall.  Although, many of your comments I have found helpful, for example, that I can't use it when I practice becuase my mind will just rely on every time i sit down to the piano and try to recall a piece.  Or in performance since I learned the piece while on the drug, my mind won't fully be able to play the piece fluidly without it.  I am interested, however, in Brian's suggestion of Yerba Mate.  Where can I get this?  In any event, I suppose the moral of the story is there's no substitute for good, long, honest practice.

Offline brsmpianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 01:48:02 AM
Try taking coffee... I drink a mocha or a regular-sized cup of joe and am able to concentrate fully for about 3-4 hours, working on detail and everything else you said.  Dexedrines, as many people here were quick to point out, are definitely dangerous, both for your health and musical career.

Offline Rockitman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 02:07:41 AM
I will voice an opinion of dissent as this thread really sounds anti drug.
I have found that when I get high from marijuana, that I become much more "musical" and play with greater emotion.  And I would say that I gain a bit of technique and tempo too.   I don't find myself having to smoke before I practice or perform, but there you have it.  I won't lie.  I imbibe a couple of times a week and playing is just more interesting then. 

Offline brsmpianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 03:14:10 AM
Yes, but stimulants are definitely more harmful than a bit of marijuana.  (Also, back when i used to smoke a little hehe, I never became more musical or speedy, quite the opposite so thats an interesting obversation)

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 04:09:39 AM
I am interested, however, in Brian's suggestion of Yerba Mate.  Where can I get this?

Usually a natural foods store is the best place to get it. Most natural foods stores will have it in the tea section. Or, you can order it in bulk online, which is what I do (cheaper in the long run):

https://www.guayaki.com/

Peace,
Bri

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 05:17:59 AM
If you want to use stuff to help you play/memorise better best to use natural stuff. Like Ginkgo Biloba. You might have seen this memory pill advertised on TV ads. There are heaps of companies using the Ginkgo so its a matter of looking around.

Although if you are using stuff like adderall and dexedrine you'd be considered someone with ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). In that case best to do what your doctor prescribes you, but you wouldnt be taking it for piano. You take it for your overall mental health.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 06:25:43 AM
Try taking coffee... I drink a mocha or a regular-sized cup of joe and am able to concentrate fully for about 3-4 hours, working on detail and everything else you said. 

coffee, like any drug (legal or not) is addictive. i started years ago drinking one cup in the morning (cause i had trouble waking up after nly 4-5 hours of sleep), and now i'm drinking 5-6 to keep me going all day. (not for "focus", and it doesn't particularly help me with piano practice, it just keeps me alert whatever i'm doing, but it's not healthy either - coffee is known for eliminating the calcium)

Offline mound

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 03:19:24 PM
I think some of you may have misunderstood me.  I'm not talking about the street drug "ice" or crystal meth, I'm talking about the prescribed medication (which incidentally I have a prescription for) adderall. 

Prescription or not, drugs are drugs. Adderal is an amphetamine. so is "meth", "speed", "ecstacy" etc..

not harshing on your or whatever, just pointing out, just 'cause the doc gives it to you, doesn't mean it's not still a drug :)

I have found that when I get high from marijuana, that I become much more "musical" and play with greater emotion.

I can agree with that. It can help you reach that "detached ego state" and really let you flow more. Taken to the extreme, that's why so many of the jazz greats used heroin, because they couldn't think while on it, and as such, none of the mental barriers we put up around ourselves existed, and their musical voices could flow.  There is of course a difference between practice and play.. Practice should be focused and sober activity. Play, if a piece is completely mastered, might just be "better" if you are on a substance which helps you detach yourself.. But then again it could also result in a terrible train wreck, so in general I agree that sobriety is best, learn how to find that "space" without substances.

and I won't say weather I think that people with "ADHD"  (seems like this is becoming an epidemic eh? it must be contagious.  is it the people or the pharm companies? ;)  who are hopped up on their prescription stimulants are "sober" or not. In the societally accepted scheme of things, yes, they're sober, but semantics aside, it's an altered state.   

I've done my share of "this stuff" in the past, I'm no tea totaller!

-Paul

Offline Anton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2005, 08:09:44 PM
weed makes u consentrate for hours on end
kromtoon

Offline jono

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2005, 08:37:14 PM
Hello!
Since we are talking about using drugs and stuff, and how it affects the playing I'm just curius about one thing. If a pianist use botox, to reduce/ prevent wrinkles in the face or whatever you cold do with botox, does it deteriorate your playing in any slightest way? Im not going to try it myself, but it would be interesting to know. Since playing the most difficult pieces is so demanding of good mobility in your hands and arms, and botox have a paralysing effect, does it affect your playing? ( I mean if it is transported by the blood in some way to the hands)  That's all for now :)
Jono
Listening to Debussy is like having a midnight bath in a lukewarm augustlake

Offline mound

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 08:55:11 PM
Exlax has a profound effect on my playing

Offline PianoStudentReady2Perform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 07:32:03 AM
i agree

Offline puma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 07:15:52 AM
weed makes you "consentrate" for hours on end?  Sorry, but I couldn't resist!

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 12:04:02 AM
Exlax has a profound effect on my playing

;D

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 10:33:48 AM
are you sure you are playing better, or you are just high and everything sounds beautiful?

Offline mound

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 02:56:57 PM
are you sure you are playing better, or you are just high and everything sounds beautiful?

Right on Skeptopotamus.. I always suggest to people who claim they played so well while they were high, to record themselves and listen back later on.. (I've been there.. done that.. the feeling of greatness is quickly destroyed)

Offline Rockitman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: January 31, 2005, 03:52:27 PM
whooaa dude.  Like where's the record button?  I've looked all over this piano and can't find it man.   Do I have to like hit a combination of keys to make it record? 
Aw screwit.  I'm taking another hit.    Phhhhhhoooooooooo.

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: January 31, 2005, 04:33:24 PM
Reminds me of a joke:

What did everyone at the Grateful Dead concert say when they ran out of weed?

This music sucks!

I actually love the Dead, but that joke is still kinda funny. Seriously though, I've recorded playing sessions that I did when I was really stoned. This one time I was improvising something and I thought it was the most incredible thing ever. When I listened back to it later (and of clear mind), I found that it was really not good at all.

Like, run Scoob!,
Bri

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: February 01, 2005, 08:45:33 AM
Weed give u energy??? thats new. I always felt stonned and not stuffed to do anything.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline wintervind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: February 01, 2005, 12:18:37 PM
Reminds me of a joke:

What did everyone at the Grateful Dead concert say when they ran out of weed?

This music sucks!

I hear another version- wh
Tradition is laziness- Gustav Mahler

Offline wintervind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: February 01, 2005, 12:22:10 PM

I hear another version- wh

Ok sorry, that last post kinda crapped out on me.
So anyways, replace "weed" with "coming down on acid" and thats my version of the joke.

And- Yerba Mate (special green tea) is the best and only stimulant that I use, in my opinion! But just like anything else, use in moderation.
Tradition is laziness- Gustav Mahler

Offline MTS_JSOT

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: February 01, 2005, 01:43:03 PM
Sugar works for me lol  ;D ;D :P :P ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert