Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: I love Un Sospiro  (Read 2732 times)

Offline lukepettyjohn

• PS Silver Member
I love Un Sospiro
on: April 17, 2019, 12:10:28 AM
Liszt's Un Sospiro is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have heard.  I greatly enjoying listening to this piece.  I would love to be able to play it one day, but I know it is very difficult.  I was wondering approximately how long it would be before I could attempt this very difficult piece.  I started piano when I was 18 and have been playing for close to seven years.  Here are some of the Classical pieces I have played (I play many hymn/sacred arrangements, but those are of a different nature so I am only including Classical pieces):

Bach Two Part Invention No. 9 in F Minor
Bach Three Part Invention (Sinfonia) No. 5 in E Flat Major
Bach Prelude and Fugue in A Flat Major from WTC Book 1
Beethoven Sonata No. 9 in E Major Op. 14 No. 1, First Movement
Brahms Rhapsody in G Minor, Op. 79, No. 2 (Currently Learning)
Chopin Nocturne in B Flat Minor Op. 9, No. 1 (currently learning)
Chopin Nocturne in E Flat Major Op. 9, No. 2
Chopin Etude in E Major Op. 10, No. 3
Debussy Ballade (currently learning)
Debussy Clair De Lune
Debussy Golliwog's Cakewalk
Debussy The Snow is Dancing
Mozart Sonata in C Minor, K. 457 (First Movement)

My teacher has suggested pieces for me such as Bach Preludes and Fugues, Malaguena by Ernesto Leucona, some of Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words (which I love), Chopin Nocturnes (which I also love), Toccata by Khackaturian, the Revolutionary Etude by Chopin and Chopin Ballades (both of these last two options seem to be very difficult, although I am not exactly sure how they compare with Un Sospiro.  I am sorry for the rambling and do not want to seem like a troll.  I am simply curious at what point it would be appropriate for me to attempt this piece (Un Sospiro).

Offline soultrap

• PS Silver Member
Re: I love Un Sospiro
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 03:07:40 AM
Un Sospiro is available for anyone who is fit, no matter what they've played before.

That being said, you need quite a lot of experience playing with technical challenges and lyrical pieces. All the pieces your teacher suggested, IMO, should be played before you attempt this piece.

Bach's WTC is a staple, no matter what you decide to play. It's a fantastic founding point for polyphony.

Nocturnes and Songs without words are all very lyrical pieces. It's always good to have them in your repertoire.

What you are missing, now, IMO, are technically more difficult pieces. Chopin etudes are a good way to start. Un Sospiro right now might be a bit more on your plate than you can handle.
Pieces I'm working on:
Beethoven op. 109
Chopin Etudes op.10
Tchaikovsky Seasons June & October
Tchaikovsky Russian scherzo op. 1 no. 1
Tchaikovsky concerto 1
Mozart K 488
Rachmaninoff sonata 2

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:05:01 AM
I'd be inclined to give it a burst if you like it that much. Nothing gets any better by not playing it. If you botch it up you can always leave it for a while and try again.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 12:00:13 PM
Since you have a teacher, have you had a discussion with your teacher about this?  Regarding my wish list, we always discuss:  sometimes the decision is ‘go for it’, sometimes ‘wait a year but let’s work out a plan to get there’.   No one knows my interests, strengths and weaknesses better; and my bucket list is always considered and planned.  She will never let me say ‘ I don’t think I can play this’.  It must be ‘I don’t think I can play this YET’  😊 

If you don’t have it, develop a collaborative relationship. If you have it, use it.

Offline apmapmapm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 03:30:51 AM
Do try and get your hands on Alexander Siloti's version of Un Sospiro - it is a great resource for anyone trying to learn that piece.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert