Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Scott Joplin recital?  (Read 1057 times)

Offline cuberdrift

• PS Silver Member
Scott Joplin recital?
on: May 11, 2019, 04:53:03 AM
I'm an avid fan of Scott Joplin and am soon to graduate at our local conservatory. One of the ideas I'm having is embarking on some sort of study of several of Joplin's pieces.

I want to have a piano recital featuring Scott Joplin music. I don't live in America so Joplin isn't very popular here. It's all the more exciting knowing that people will be getting introduced to this kind of music.

I was thinking of about 8 solo works and two songs. Personally I think his songs (the ones with lyrics) are so simple and sound like ordinary entertainment music but maybe it can be made to sound good. I am going to play this music in a classical-like context (in a hall or something).

What do you suggest I play? Should I play the Entertainer and Maple Leaf Rag?

Here are some of my ideas on the "categorisation" of Joplin works that I generally like:

Happy/Fun Rags:
- The Entertainer
- Maple Leaf Rag
- Swipesy Cakewalk (joint work)
- Easy Winners
- Elite Syncopations
- The Cascades
- New Rag
- Ragtime Dance
- Sugar Cane Rag
- Pine Apple Rag
- Euphonic Sounds (pretty interesting and "modern")

Serious/"Art" Rags:
- Gladiolus Rag (my personal favourite of all Joplin)
- Magnetic Rag
- Weeping Willow
- Fig Leaf Rag
- Reflection Rag (posth.: his latest rag?)
- Searchlight Rag
- Rose Leaf Rag
- Eugenia
- Wall Street Rag

Non-Rag Works that are interesting:
- Great Crush Collision March
- Bethena
- Solace
- Heliotrope Bouquet (joint work)
- Sunflower Slow Drag
- A Real Slow Drag (is there a piano version?)

Songs (I'm listing all because there's only few of them):
- Please Say You Will
- A Picture of Her Face
- Pickaninny Days
- The Ragtime Dance
- Little Black Baby
- Maple Leaf Rag (apparently there's a version with lyrics)
- Sarah Dear
- Good-bye Old Gal Good-bye
- Snoring Sampson: A Quarrel in Ragtime
- When Your Hair Is Like The Snow   
- Pine Apple Rag (yes there's a song like this apparently)
- Lovin' Babe

So what are your thoughts on this? What do you think one should look into? I'm thinking of about 8-12 total pieces all in all, maybe part of which will include a few songs.

This of course won't happen anytime soon as I will have to study them, but it's an idea I've been thinking of for a loooong time. Like, years.

Thanks! Would appreciate any insights.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scott Joplin recital?
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 12:20:58 PM
You can play whatever you want to the extent  your school and teacher allow it and to sufficient standard set by the school and appropriate for your level of achievement

However

The idea of these theme recitals generally  is more appealing on paper vs enjoyable in person for the audience the exception being an audience of people with a keen interest in that genre

Where i have seen success is at the graduate level usually a lecture recital format with slides discussion   and study with compelling conclusions or unorthodox ideas supported with research being presented.

Otherwise they generally drag on unless the composer had an incredibly varied style with huge swings in mood and type of music

So do what you want or can, but realize  limited impact is a distinct possibility or you should plan to prepare formal study and lecture to present some support some type of compelling conclusion  about the music and or the composer

Offline cuberdrift

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scott Joplin recital?
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 01:41:43 PM
You can play whatever you want to the extent  your school and teacher allow it and to sufficient standard set by the school and appropriate for your level of achievement

However

The idea of these theme recitals generally  is more appealing on paper vs enjoyable in person for the audience the exception being an audience of people with a keen interest in that genre

Where i have seen success is at the graduate level usually a lecture recital format with slides discussion   and study with compelling conclusions or unorthodox ideas supported with research being presented.

Otherwise they generally drag on unless the composer had an incredibly varied style with huge swings in mood and type of music

So do what you want or can, but realize  limited impact is a distinct possibility or you should plan to prepare formal study and lecture to present some support some type of compelling conclusion  about the music and or the composer

Sorry, I forgot to add: this recital will be a non-academic activity, presented after I graduate. It is purely out of self-interest.

How are "theme recitals" a bore when entire International Competitions like the Chopin in Warsaw focus on an entire set of overplayed repertoire by one composer played by different people all over the world?

But yes, I do plan on lecturing a bit about it, as that would be the point. Because Joplin is not known in my area.

Thanks for the insight, your experience is valuable.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert