Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Piano Street's 'Level' for Sheet Music  (Read 1623 times)

Offline shoshkalson

• PS Silver Member
Piano Street's 'Level' for Sheet Music
on: May 31, 2019, 07:09:18 AM
Hi All,

So, this is my first post on Piano Street. 

A short introduction -- I'm 62 years old, getting back to the piano after a long hiatus.  I grew up in a musical family (mother was a pianist and teacher); learned to read music and play piano probably when I was about 3, started formal lessons when I was 8 and studied formally for 8 years.  I was playing pieces at the late intermediate/early advanced level when I stopped studying.  I continued playing (for fun) while I was still at home, but pretty much stopped when I left for university.

So, I haven't played for a long time.

My fingers still 'remember' a number of pieces (or parts of pieces) but my technique is shot.

My current plan is to work mostly on technique (pulling out the Czerny and Heller) as well as going back to Beginner/Intermediate pieces (so I can have some fun).

My question is -- what do the Piano Street levels for sheet music correspond to?  RCM? Henle? or...

Thanks a lot for your help,

Shoshana

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Street's 'Level' for Sheet Music
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 11:08:16 AM
My impression is that the Piano Street difficulty rating shows good discrimination among early and intermediate pieces but tends to lump all relatively advanced pieces together at 8 or 8+, so it's not so helpful at that end of the spectrum. I guess the most useful thing to do to get a feel for it is simply to look up pieces that you remember playing and see how Piano Street rated them.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert