Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Piano Quintets with "Trout" instrumentation??  (Read 1236 times)

Offline afarmboysforte

Piano Quintets with "Trout" instrumentation??
on: June 09, 2019, 01:56:06 AM
Hey, y'all!

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I've got a question for y'all! I've got a bit of an ensemble going on now with the following instrumentation: violin, viola, cello, double bass, and of course, piano. Yes, the infamous "trout" ensemble!

We've been rehearsing for a while, just getting a feel for each other, and we have Schubert's Trout quintet under our belt, as well as just starting rehearsals with Josef Labor's E minor Quintet (a fantastic piece). We've looked at some other pieces for our ensemble, but they all tend to be pretty similar in style to these two pieces, with the most contrasting being Vaughan Williams' quintet, or the earlier ones like Hummel. Do you all know of any pieces that are a good contrast to the Romantic era pieces we've been playing? The only example I've been able to find with our instrumentation is Tobias Picker's "Nova."

We all are very advanced players, so anything should be fair game!

All the best!

Offline andrewuk

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Quintets with "Trout" instrumentation??
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 03:45:35 PM
There's an IMSLP category for this combination, so you might find something there.

Offline orangesodaking

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Quintets with "Trout" instrumentation??
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 11:21:09 PM
Nice choice with the Labor. It's a bear of a piece, and has quite a fantastic bass part.

Louise Farrenc has two OUTSTANDING quintets for the Trout instrumentation.

Also, Louise Farrenc was a woman, and the quality music by the great women composers are still underrepresented on the concert stage to this day. (She has a great cello sonata and two violin sonatas as well, check them out!)

Vaughan Williams' quintet is a great work, too.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert