Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Bach Well-tempered Book 2 Complete  (Read 1703 times)

Offline johnlewisgrant

• PS Silver Member
Bach Well-tempered Book 2 Complete
on: July 07, 2019, 05:52:06 PM
https://soundcloud.com/user-843628186/sets/bach-well-tempered-clavier-bk

Some background:
1. The instrument is a Kawai RM3 Grand Touch, although I work-out issues of touch and articulation at my Hailun 211 semi-grand, which I regulate and tune myself (using Verituner and IC tuner to double check intervals. 
2. Once I work out a tentative articulation on the controller, the consequent midi-information is "translated" (for want of a better term) into a recording via a sampled piano.  (There are many, and each is tuned differently, of course.)
3. Still more editing is done to the end of adjusting the final "sound" or "feel" or "affect" of the sound, phrasing, tempi, articulation, touch,  and so on.
4 I admit to violating many "rules," so to speak, in particular, the articulation of subject (and countersubject) are not always consistent.  Stretti, to cite one obvious example, can force a deviation from consistency  in order that overlapping subjects be heard distinctly.
5 These recordings are, I would say, overwhelmingly "romantic," which is, arguably, a violation of what some (many?) suggest is a fundamental rule of Baroque interpretation.
6. Soundcloud destroys the top end of all recordings, but until a demonstrably more powerful audio streaming platform is made available, I guess we're stuck with it.  It is certainly easier to use for audio purposes than the Tube.

Offline johnlewisgrant

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach Well-tempered Book 2 Complete
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 12:29:47 AM
Let me add this, for young pianists: I grew up in a super-musical family, but Bach, and Bach's keyboard music, was considered pretty obscure.  Sure, the C major prelude, "Ave Maria" for some, was well-known.  But the rest of his output we thought very "out-there-in-the-wilderness."  Book 2 of the WTC was at the extreme end of inaccessible. 

That's just not true.  So start with the G major, which is not difficult to play.  Beautiful, but simple.  That's #15!  Then try out the E major #9, which is fabulous and, again, not difficult. 

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert