Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: W.A Mozart: Rondo kv 511, in a minor  (Read 1824 times)

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
W.A Mozart: Rondo kv 511, in a minor
on: August 10, 2019, 11:42:23 AM
Dear members,

This is my first attempt in editing. It went okay, except for one part I just couldn't solve properly. So, of course, I would appreciate comments on the music itself, but also on help on editing. Do any of you know of any courses to learn music editing? Preferably online, as I don't have terribly much time after practicing and being married.

I hope you enjoy!

Pianoman53

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Re: W.A Mozart: Rondo kv 511, in a minor
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 02:31:03 AM
Nice clean sound, and I can't fault the playing.

Apparent edits (clicks) showing at 1.32 (two of them, very close), 2.46, 3.02 and a different issue at 7.27, where it sounds like you've pasted between two samples with differently pedaled harmonies. I don't have the score to hand, but it sounds very much like at 7.26.8 the bass present beforehand drops out in the harmony after. Could be a symptom of trying to edit within a segment which is all under one continuous pedal (not to be recommended).

What are you using as editing software?
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 05:50:10 AM
Thanks for the comment. 
I'm using audacity at the moment, but guess I'll be upgrading soon.
The last edit as you mentioned is sort of what you described  - I needed the change on one specific note, but didn't manage to make it work... how did you learn? Or was it just learning by doing?

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 10:48:52 AM
I guess I have some editing knowledge by dint of a. experimentation and b. having sat in on having two studio CDs edited! Of course, a studio has tools which go well beyond Audacity. I could see some of the clicks at high level zoom in Audacity; it's amazing how even the slightest discontinuity in the wave form can cause one. You can usually redraw the wave by hand to smooth it out and sort it. Tbh I prefer the spectral repair function in Izotope RX as mechanism for eliminating clicks (and ambient noises!) but that's not free software, or maybe it is, depending on the state of your conscience :p

You might find Amazing Slow Downer a useful extra: it is much better (when used on highest quality) than the tempo shift function in Audacity. It's also not free, but will do short demo sections in the free version. You can't save them, but you can capture them with Audacity record.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert